Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Cheato growth

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
xlr8r View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xlr8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cheato growth
    Posted: February 03 2011 at 12:18pm
It seems to me that my cheato really doesn't grow anymore. For the first 6-9 months of the tanks life, I'd cut it back 2-3 times a month. Now it seems to hardly move. Its dark green and balled up very tight. The other thing that concrens me is I also now am getting hair aglea on the sand and little tufts if it on the rock. I also have one hermit that looks like he's wearing a wig! I know I've been overfeeding, so I've cut that down drastically. Still no change. Thoughts???  Thanks!
When you hear hoofbeats....Think of a zebra
xlr8r View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xlr8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2011 at 1:12pm
I guess I should give some insight on my tank:

30 gallon. no sump/refugium
PC lights
2-Koralia #2 down low pointing up.
cheato in display.
All N compounds at zero
a few softies
4 fish (2 firefish 1 clown 1 royal dottyback)
C.U.C. / emerald crab.
10 hr photoperiod.

hope i covered it wellConfused
bur01014 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bur01014 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2011 at 1:21pm
normally when my macro growth suddenly slows at a 6-9 month interval, means its time for a bulb replacement....but I run a fuge, lightened 24/7.....this could be different since it sounds like your macro is in the display...how old are your bulbs?  Cheato will grow better when its not a tight compact ball, but pulled apart some.....this could be messy in a display though...either your bulbs are old, the cheato is not getting enough light, or there is no nutrients in the tank....I believe its probably a combination of old bulbs and lack of light hitting the macro, in a tight ball...
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2011 at 10:50am
In that system you can't get away without Snails and enough of them to eat the small shoots of algae that will sprout on the rock. How many Snails are in this tank?
How old is the tank and how old is the Refugium light?
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
xlr8r View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xlr8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2011 at 1:03am
Well as far as snails I have about 15 or so. I'm currently trying to add more at this time. I'm also trying to figure out the best types to get a good combination. I have about 5 hermits and one emerald crab. This tank has no sump/refugium and is approching 1 year of age in a month or two.
  How much does the age of my display tank bulbs weigh on this? And is it just my daylights I need to worry about or actinics too?

Edited by xlr8r - February 05 2011 at 1:11am
MadReefer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MadReefer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2011 at 1:25pm
It may be low on iron. Maybe it is the ratio of nitrate and phosphate. I'm just guessing. 
You might want to try caulerpa, I think it looks better in the display.
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2011 at 9:51pm
As a tank ages, the biofiltration changes. At first there are lots of nutrients and not as much other biofiltration so Algae grows better. A tank also reaches a point where if the algae on the rocks starts to take off and if herbivores are not added to cope with it the algae can get out of control.
Herbivores can of course be more than snails and a few hermits. Herbivorous fish are important but something that most hobbyists don't realize is that too many carnivorous fish like Wrasses are added the bug population can be decimated. These bugs eat young shoots of algae too.

If you can post a full tank pic we can give you more specific help, so that you don't miss something. Smile
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic