Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

help with new tank

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
backwards32 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backwards32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: help with new tank
    Posted: February 09 2011 at 4:46pm
I set up a new 55 gallon tank. its been cycling for almost 3 weeks. it has a bunch of dark orange slime looking stuff all over the sand and alittle on the rocks. is this good or bad or normal or what?
Luckedout View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luckedout Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2011 at 5:22pm
sounds like diatoms which is normal
-Ben

90g Mixed reef

www.body-balancechiropractic.com

backwards32 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backwards32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2011 at 5:27pm
So do I need to do anything or just let it keep cycling? I put a Kenya tree in there and its not looking good
ewaldsreef View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ewaldsreef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2011 at 5:39pm
When first cylcing your aquarium it is importand to keep an eye on amonia nitite and nitrate. When the tank is cylcing it is starting a bacteria process that will covert the amonia to nitrite the nitrite to nitrate. When the tank is cycled it should have no amonia or nitrite however may have some nitrate. Make sure to keep an eye on these levels.It is also importand to make sure your alkalinty,ph,calcium,salinity,and temp are all correct. Hope this helps a little.
Contact me for professional aquarium maintenance and localy grown coral frags. [URL=http://www.aquatitranquility.com][/URL]

Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2011 at 5:48pm
Have you read how Macroalgae in the tank avoids the dreaded "cycle" all together? Read the Reefkeeping Tips below.
I recently started up a frag tank that was full of frags 3 weeks after setup. These frags are not just soft coral but SPS and LPS too. Feel free to call me at the number below to come see it. I can help you fix your tank too.
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic