Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

low CALCIUM

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
justinstank View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote justinstank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: low CALCIUM
    Posted: February 10 2011 at 1:03am
my calcium is below 300!!  should i just add liquid calcium a little each day till it gets to 420. or what should i do. 

thanks 
justin williams
PDoug View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PDoug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2011 at 1:20am
Depends on what you got availible you could dose calcium or do a water change what is your alkilinity though ? Irregardless I whatever changes you make do it slowly what supplies have you got ?
(307)679-7898 Phillip Douglass 75 Gallon Reef Tank
bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2011 at 1:35am
Yes just gradually add some calcium over the next day or so then check it every few days to see when you need to dose again to get on a dosing schedule.
Jackie Stuver

"wait these aren't the happy Hawaiians oompa doompa godly heaven on your face zoas?   I dont want them then. lol!" Ksmart
Lewy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2011 at 7:24am
Isn't the max you can increase in a day is 50ppm?
40 gal w/ 20 sump
bfessler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bfessler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2011 at 8:41am

Dosing Calcium isn't as critical as dosing Alkalinity and you can add quite a bit without much problem. Use a reef calculator like this one http://www.reeftime.com/reef-chemistry-calculator.asp to determine the dose and then add about 1/2 the amount needed then retest after 24 hours and dose again. On the third day you should be where you want to be.

Make sure to test for Alkalinity and Magnesium as well. Large changes in one of the 3 components can affect the levels of the others. Make changes to Alk and Mag more slowly.
Burt

An equal opportunity reefer,
I support all hobbyists and organizations involved in Marine Aquarium Keeping.
[email protected]
justinstank View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote justinstank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2011 at 9:44am
thanks 
justin williams
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2011 at 10:14am
I totally agree with Burt's reply.

Adam
Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2011 at 11:06am
Thumbs Up
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic