Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Help ASAP!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Clownfish45 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clownfish45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Help ASAP!
    Posted: February 14 2011 at 11:01am
OK I'm wondering if anybody out there can help with with a problem. I have two baby clown fish that I bought and were doing well and now the female is picking on the male. Now the male is not doing so well. I talk to Mark and he suggested getting another anemone for the male to host. He is having a hard time eating and is not looking so well. So if there is anybody out there that has a tiny anemone that has split and would be willing to part with or sell for a fair price I would really appreciate it. I need a small one because it is going into my 24gal nano. So the smaller the better. I really don't want to lose this clown and I think this will be a great way to save him. Also if anybody has any other suggestions on how to help out this little clown i'm open to it. Shocked
wickedsnowman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wickedsnowman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2011 at 11:57am
i have a couple small rbta i would sell ya one but i live in ogden

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wickedsnowman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2011 at 12:00pm
i have one that is only like a inch big when inflated

Edited by wickedsnowman - February 14 2011 at 12:02pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clownfish45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2011 at 12:13pm
I might take you up on that. How much do you want for it? And do you have a pic of it? I would like to find one closer to me but will let you know.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wickedsnowman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2011 at 12:29pm
i could do the 1 inch one for like $10 and one thats a little bigger for like $15 im at work right now but i will text my wife and see if she will upload a pic
Chevmaro View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chevmaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2011 at 3:37pm
I would buy a bigger nem and they might not host right away.  Do you have a seperate tank you can put the sick clown in?  The clowns I have had always chase each other around.  But if he is looking sick and not eating it could be worse then usual.  I also think nem's in the tank make the clowns more territorial and more agressive towards other fish.  maybe not to each other.
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2011 at 4:36pm
Any anemone would be fine. I have two ~4" RBTA's in my 10 gal "Utah Hawaiian" nano with 2 small clowns and a damsel.
It's looking "sick" because it hasn't yet accepted the idea of being the subservient male to the dominant female. Perhaps it wanted to be the dominant female and is still trying to assert itself and for that it is being put in it's place.

I would not take it out of the tank with the idea of later putting it back in. That would only delay the inevitable.

Pairing up Clownfish is more successful when there are three or more. If it is removed, trade it back to the guy you got it from and add two in it's place or simply go get another one of those youngsters if he has any left. Another clownfish will spread out the dominant behavior between the two and maybe the new one will be totally fine with being a male. Then you could sell/trade the unpaired clownfish to someone else.
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wickedsnowman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2011 at 4:54pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wickedsnowman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2011 at 4:55pm

you can tell the size by the frag plug next to it. Let me know if you're interested. The second pic is the $10 one and the first pic is $15

Edited by wickedsnowman - February 14 2011 at 5:29pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clownfish45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2011 at 7:17pm
Well they are both eating however the smaller one is having a hard time eating what the other one has no problem eating. As for trying to get another clown from that guy I tried and he sold them all. So not sure what to do there i might have to go and try and find a clown the same size as the other two at the lfs. Question though what if I get a bigger one and put it in with the other two do you think that would help out my problem that is if I can't find one the same size as the other two? 
ptronsp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ptronsp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2011 at 8:27pm
Are these clowns gold barred maroons? If so did you get them from a guy down south? He had raised them? If so do you know what he was feeding them? And, is she nipping at his tail/fins? Making him unable to swim? Do you have just one anemone? Do you have any frogspawn that he can hide in? How big are the clowns?

Sorry for all the questions.
 Pam

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clownfish45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2011 at 9:36pm
Originally posted by ptronsp ptronsp wrote:

Are these clowns gold barred maroons? If so did you get them from a guy down south? He had raised them? If so do you know what he was feeding them? And, is she nipping at his tail/fins? Making him unable to swim? Do you have just one anemone? Do you have any frogspawn that he can hide in? How big are the clowns? Sorry for all the questions. Pam

No they are False Percula Clownfish. I bought them from a guy in Alpine. He was feeding them flake food when I bought them. That's what I started to feed them for the first month and then started to feed them reef plankton and flake food. The plankton seem to be to big for them at first so I went back to the flakes untill they got a little bigger. But only one of the seem to get bigger and the other one stayed the same. As for her nipping at his tail? Yes and no she is chasing him around the tank and in circles. But it dosnt look like his tail is being damaged. He is just pail in color and not as big and still can't feed on the plankton very well. I have one anemone but looking for another one. I do have pink tip hammer in there as well but it only has a couple of small heads. As go how big they are the female is now over a inch and the male might be an inch. He is a little smaller then the female.
ptronsp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ptronsp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2011 at 9:50pm
If she is not nipping his tail to the point he cannot swim I think your ok. As far as her chasing him that is perfecly normal. She is just showing him who is bossWink.
   Also, I think with you having the hammer in there he will start hosting that if he is going to host anything. She can have them anemone. Once they get past this stage of chasing and what not they will most likely be lovers Embarrassed. I personally wouldn't get another anemone if you have the hammer.. he will use that as well. I have some that use frogspawn/hammer, torches, mushrooms,etc.

It's just the lady like kinda way in her that she is showing her dominance Shocked. That's what we do :).
 Pam
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic