Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Light fell in sump

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Davidwillis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davidwillis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Light fell in sump
    Posted: February 16 2011 at 10:53am
My light fell in my sump (it is the little curl florescent with in the reflector).  It was lucky I was close by and heard the popping.  I pulled it out right away (there was a smell of burning).  I also shut the flow to my display tank.  Everything seems fine, but should I turn the flow back on, or should I do something to the sump before I turn it back on?  The only thing I can think of is there was a bunch of melted brass or copper and aluminum in the light fitting that may have got into the sump.  I wish I had some poly filters on hand... is there anything I could pick up at petsmart that would take out anything that may have gotten into the sump?

Thanks

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davidwillis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2011 at 11:12am
Well initially everything looked fine, but now they don't.  All the corals have withdrawn, and some are expelling stuff...  And just when my tank started to look like it might recover from letting my temp drop to 60 deg while I was on vacation.... 
BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2011 at 11:15am
Run carbon
- My Current Tank: 65g Starfire (sitting empty for 2+ years) -

* Marine & Reef tanks since 1977 *
bfessler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bfessler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2011 at 11:18am
Hi David,

Like bob said get some fresh carbon going right away. This happened to one of my tanks once and everything survived fine but you need to get some carbon going ASAP.

Burt

An equal opportunity reefer,
I support all hobbyists and organizations involved in Marine Aquarium Keeping.
[email protected]
Luckedout View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luckedout Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2011 at 11:26am
bummer. I'd probably throw in a water change with the carbon
-Ben

90g Mixed reef

www.body-balancechiropractic.com

jmw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jmw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2011 at 11:27am

The carbon I assume would be to get all contaminates out of the water, right? I would assume that the electrical shock may have had a bigger role in the corals retracting?

Spbeyond View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spbeyond Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2011 at 12:00pm
The carbon is to absorb some of the problems caused by the corals being upset and releasing toxins.
90 Gallon Reef w/4 bulb 54W t5

I buy, sell and restore pinball machines. Got one in the basement? ;)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davidwillis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2011 at 12:13pm
I did a 5 gal water change (that is all I had on hand), and put in a bunch of carbon....

Thanks guys...
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2011 at 12:23pm
Oh man, I'm so sorry to read this. You did not need more tank problems. Angry

For future safety, the clip-on bracket or the electrical cord can be secured to something above to ensure that if the clip slips off it's mount, the light fixture will not drop into the water, but will hang just above by the electrical cord or a zip tie.
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Chevmaro View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chevmaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2011 at 2:17pm
This sucks.  But thanks for reminding me to better secure my refugium light. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davidwillis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2011 at 4:29pm
Originally posted by Mark Peterson Mark Peterson wrote:

Oh man, I'm so sorry to read this. You did not need more tank problems. Angry

For future safety, the clip-on bracket or the electrical cord can be secured to something above to ensure that if the clip slips off it's mount, the light fixture will not drop into the water, but will hang just above by the electrical cord or a zip tie.

I know, I remember reading about this happening to someone else, and I keep thinking I need to secure it like you said, but I keep putting it off....Ouch

Anyway, things are looking a lot better already.  Maybe my corals are conditioned to being stressed by something.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic