Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

t5's not working

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: t5's not working
    Posted: February 25 2011 at 9:40pm
I replaced some bulbs in a t5 fixture today.

Put in the new bulbs (8 of them).... 6 turned on.  
Put the two old bulbs back in where the two are not turning on.... now they don't work.  

Question- is it more likely that the endcaps need to be replaced?
or is it more likely that the ballast needs to be replaced?

Keep in mind the bulbs in there were working earlier today.

Adam
Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
laynframe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote laynframe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2011 at 9:58pm
Kinda sounds like a incomplete circuit to me. Have you confirmed your bulbs are touching the end cap terminals?
The time we enjoy wasting isn't wasted time!!!!
bfessler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bfessler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2011 at 10:21pm
You have an 8 lamp fixture but how many lamps are driven by each ballast? If the 2 lamps that don't work are connected to a single ballast then I would suspect the ballast as it is unlikely that a bad connection affects both lamps. With electronic ballasts if one lamp has a bad connection then the other lamps sharing the ballast will still light.

I would check the connection between the lamps posts and the end cap terminals as well as the connection of the wiring between the ballast and the end caps. If that all looks good it is most likely the ballast.

Burt

An equal opportunity reefer,
I support all hobbyists and organizations involved in Marine Aquarium Keeping.
[email protected]
RandyVB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RandyVB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2011 at 10:22pm
+1
Yep, that's my money pit......It keeps me broke and entertained.
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2011 at 11:14pm
Did you hear some unusual buzzing or crackling when turning on the unit? Check the contact points inside the endcap for blackness, burning or melting. If there is none of that, it's more likely to be a ballast issue.

If you have a voltage meter, you can check to see if electricity is reaching the end cap. Set the meter to read up to 600 volts and touch the two leads to the two individual contacts inside of the end cap socket.
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Ryan Thompson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2011 at 9:20am
Originally posted by bfessler bfessler wrote:

With electronic ballasts if one lamp has a bad connection then the other lamps sharing the ballast will still light.

This isn't totally true. A spec T5 ballast will shut off if the circuit is not completed. The ballast doesn't know why a bulb isn't firing. So to protect from a fire, the ballast won't operate.

Cheap ballasts such as Workhorse do not have this feature on them. They fire no matter what and it can be dangerous. It isn't very likely to cause a fire but it can.
bfessler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bfessler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2011 at 1:38pm
On most quality electronic ballasts each lamp is on it's own circuit which is why one will stay lit when the other fails. Look at the wiring diagram a 2 lamp ballast can be used with one lamp by simply capping off the unused wires or not connecting the terminals if so equipped.
Burt

An equal opportunity reefer,
I support all hobbyists and organizations involved in Marine Aquarium Keeping.
[email protected]
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic