Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

acrilic

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
BnK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BnK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: acrilic
    Posted: February 26 2011 at 6:22pm
i got a tank that is acrilic and it is scratched on the side pretty good. I have read you can buy stuff to remove it what is the best stuff and best way to remove them?
Brett and Kristine | Layton, UT | Brett's e-mail: [email protected] | Kristine's e-mail: [email protected]
CapnMorgan View Drop Down
The Capn'

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CapnMorgan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2011 at 7:12pm
Go to home depot and buy a plastics/acrylic buffing kit. It'll only set you back about $10. Start with the coarse buffing compound and work your way to the fine stuff. apply even pressure and keep the felt wheel moving to avoid melting the acrylic. It'll take you a few hours to get out major scratches but be patient and it'll work out.
Steve
My Old 180G Mixed Reef
Currently:
120G Wavefront Mixed
29G Seahorse & Softies
Running ReefAngel Plus x2
435-8
Lewy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2011 at 7:12pm
The best way is to call someone who has done it before. I tried to buff out a bunch on my little one and burned a few places.
40 gal w/ 20 sump
BnK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BnK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2011 at 7:46pm
ok anyone in layton area ever done this before? and I will buy supplies and pay you to do it and show me so if I ever need to next time I can.

thanx guys

Edited by BnK - February 26 2011 at 7:47pm
Brett and Kristine | Layton, UT | Brett's e-mail: [email protected] | Kristine's e-mail: [email protected]
wickedsnowman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wickedsnowman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2011 at 8:31pm
Im not sure you can do this in water but one if these guys might know for sure.
BnK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BnK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2011 at 8:32pm
its on the outside of the tank 
wickedsnowman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wickedsnowman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2011 at 8:33pm
Oh nevermind then
tcfab View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tcfab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2011 at 9:15pm
You need to sand the scratch out before you buff. If you try buffing out scratches you will just burn up the acrylic. Depending on how deep the scratch is you need to start with 400 grit wet sandpaper and work your way up 600,800,1200 grits then buff. By the time you get to 1200 it is almost polished but still looks a little hazy, then when you get to that stage it is really easy to buff. Do you have a handheld polisher like you use on cars? Thats the only way to do it, I would'nt even try doing it by hand you will not make much of a dent. I do polish acrylic if you are interested.
Need custom acrylic work? give me a call, www.Elite-Aquatics.net (801)645-6386
tcfab View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tcfab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2011 at 9:17pm
Also for best results use buffing compound for cars like 3M's course rubbing compound, it buffs very easily and fast.
Need custom acrylic work? give me a call, www.Elite-Aquatics.net (801)645-6386
BnK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BnK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2011 at 10:54pm
tcfab how much would you charge to do it? it would have to be done at my house since i have fish and stuff in my tank.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic