Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Salt Water Fans

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
saltlaketank View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote saltlaketank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Salt Water Fans
    Posted: March 09 2011 at 1:07am
My girlfreind and I (Brittany and JayDee) have just started our 55 gallon saltwater tank with a ten gallon sump. We began brackish and acclimated it to saltwater. We currently have monos,mollies,gobys,and columbian sharks.
We are both very interested in pursuing this hobby and getting our reef up and running. We have learned a lot and look forward to learning more.
We are very open to suggestions and ideas. Also we are just starting our reef any help in that direction would be wonderful.
CapnMorgan View Drop Down
The Capn'

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CapnMorgan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2011 at 4:19am
Welcome! You will want to swap out your gravel for sand IMO, but be sure to do it slowly, a little at a time. Feel free to ask if you need any help with anything! You came to the right place!
Steve
My Old 180G Mixed Reef
Currently:
120G Wavefront Mixed
29G Seahorse & Softies
Running ReefAngel Plus x2
435-8
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2011 at 9:15am
That tank looks really cool. I love Monos. And to have gobies and columbian sharks, way cool.

The link below in Reefkeeping Tips may provide some good info for you..
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote saltlaketank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2011 at 10:28am
Thanks for the good advice and kind words. Our skimmer should be here today so we will be installing our DIY sump/refugium and going from there. Good to have the day off to play.
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2011 at 10:43am
Way cool!  Definitely a stand out tank that you don't see often.

Oh, and WELCOME!

Adam
Come to a meeting, they’re fun!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote saltlaketank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2011 at 11:28am
We appreciate the feedback, thanks everyone.
badger126 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote badger126 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2011 at 1:45am
Way cool rock structure! What kind of rock is that? I'm not super familiar with monos, but don't they get pretty big? Might need to be upgrading that tank soon!
bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2011 at 9:43am
Welcome! When I was keeping fresh water I went to Bob Allens house who has a "fish house" out back he had some gigantic monos very cool looking.
The rock is lace rock right?
Jackie Stuver

"wait these aren't the happy Hawaiians oompa doompa godly heaven on your face zoas?   I dont want them then. lol!" Ksmart
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2011 at 12:50pm
Ooooh, Bob Allen. He's a big name in the Utah freshwater hobby Smile
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2011 at 2:12pm
Originally posted by Mark Peterson Mark Peterson wrote:

Ooooh, Bob Allen. He's a big name in the Utah freshwater hobby Smile

Ha yep! Awesome guy he's a hoot to talk with:)
Jackie Stuver

"wait these aren't the happy Hawaiians oompa doompa godly heaven on your face zoas?   I dont want them then. lol!" Ksmart

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote saltlaketank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2011 at 12:56am
Ya know guys? I'm not positive what type of rock it is. I purchased most of it from Marks Arch. Just dead rock. I have since then mixed in some live rock from The Aquarium and used their smaller live rock for my refugium. I am aware that the monos get around 8 inches. My columbian sharks can get up to a foot. I look forward to purchasing a much larger tank when then time comes.
JayDee 8016042780
90 Gallon
30 Gallon sump
G3 Skimmer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote saltlaketank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2011 at 7:50pm
No later than recieving this message did I notice I was having some nasty dark sludgy build up in my sand. I have had this sand in the tank for a few months. My nitrates shot through the roof and I was pretty worried so this morning I spent five hours slowly removing the sand in hopes of not disturbing anything. I is a little foggy but I seem to have succesfully removed it without any problems. Now I have only glass and rocks in the tank. I'll have to find some of that IMO(is that just like aragonite?) Thanks.
JayDee 8016042780
90 Gallon
30 Gallon sump
G3 Skimmer
Lewy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2011 at 9:27pm
Aragonite is good sand. another option is Utah sand or oolitic sand, try to get hold of Mark he usually has a bunch. Also by FYI IMO stands for In My Opinion.
40 gal w/ 20 sump

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote saltlaketank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2011 at 9:44pm
gotcha thanks.
JayDee 8016042780
90 Gallon
30 Gallon sump
G3 Skimmer
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic