Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Worms!! Please help!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
justinstank View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote justinstank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Worms!! Please help!
    Posted: March 09 2011 at 12:18pm
I have some bristle/fire worms in my rocks! how can i get rid of them without having to get rid of all my rock and livestock! ? please help.

justin williams
WhiteReef View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WhiteReef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2011 at 12:30pm
Bristle worms are a great thing to have in the tank and add to the cleanup crew you have.  If you do want to remove them, there are traps that you can purchase or make that attract them into it.

----------------

Richard

Former 47G Column Reef, Magna
20" x 18" x 31"H
bfessler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bfessler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2011 at 12:39pm
That's right. Bristle worms are a great part of the clean up crew. Just be sure you don't grab one of them with a bare hand because they can inflict a strong sting. A few of them are good but if your tank is over run with them you need to stop over feeding and you can make a trap using a piece of shrimp and some bridal vale material. See Mark Peterson's post http://www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=36683&KW=bristle+worm+trap&PID=325784#325784
Burt

An equal opportunity reefer,
I support all hobbyists and organizations involved in Marine Aquarium Keeping.
[email protected]
justinstank View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote justinstank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2011 at 1:26pm
Thanks a bunch for the suggestions.  if they are not harmful to fish and coral, then thats what i was worried about, but ill check and see if they multiply more.  i dont want to have my tank over run by them though.

Thanks again
justin williams
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2011 at 2:18pm
It's all about feeding. Check the thread that Burt pointed to or click here to avoid the highlighted search terms): http://www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=36683
Bristleworms are quite fascinating and extremely useful. There are thousands of types of worms in the ocean and all of them have a purpose, usually to clean things up. Chances are you'll never encounter any worms that harm your tank.  Smile

Remember, 99.9% of all the different species we find in our tanks are beneficial. The bad things make up a really short list that many hobbyists never have problems with or they tolerate or they eliminate with various methods discussed here on the MB. Here's the animal list; Aiptasia and Majano anemones, a couple types of Flatworm, Rock Crabs, Red Bugs Mantis Shrimp and a Zoanthid eating Nudibranch. Like I said, the chances of encountering most of these is slim.

When I was new to the hobby, I unknowingly bought a Mantis Shrimp because I could see it's cool little eyes looking out at me from a small piece of LR. I look back now and can imagine the two LFS employees chuckling under their breath as they sold me that tiny rock for a buck. The Mantis grew large enough that at night you could hear the Ping--Ping--Ping of it's claws snapping. Sometimes it was so loud I thought it must surely be hitting the glass with it's claws, but even after a thorough search with a dim flashlight it was always pinging from around the rocks. Eventually it died when I unknowingly allowed the Alk to drop to about 3 as I went 18 months without a water change. Those were the days...Confused

And when it comes to Algae, there are some nuisances. We know how to prevent and control all of them, like Hair Algae, Valonia, Cyanobacteria(not a pure algae), and Bryopsis algae.

The great thing about all these pest animals and algae is that we know how to prevent, to control and to remove them from our tanks. So no worries mate. Just keep an eye on things, like you are doingThumbs Up, and anytime something unfamiliar comes up ask us here, like you are doingThumbs Up, and we will help you around it.

On Saturday, I met a guy in my apartment complex that had heard I had aquariums so he came over, because he needed help moving his 9 month old reef. He told me the story of how he was feeding these cool little clear/tan anemones and how their growing population had made him happy to be able to see them thrive.Smile He happened to mention it to a LFS and they proceeded to educate him. He carefully killed each one and hasn't had any since. We have all been there, fascinated by the amazing first life in our tanks. Big smile
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic