Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

A Little Problem

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
smacky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smacky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A Little Problem
    Posted: March 15 2011 at 11:25pm
It really is a small problem, like an inch and a half. The only problem is that is how far I need to move my tank. I got a cabinet that was PERFECT for top off water, power strips, ballasts etc. and I was sure it would fit in the space I had for it...
It doesn't fit, and now I have to move a 46 gallon tank with sump and stand and everything about an inch and a half to the left.

How would you do it?

Edited by smacky - March 15 2011 at 11:29pm
wickedsnowman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wickedsnowman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2011 at 11:36pm
Drain it down as much as you can and get a few dudes to help.If you do it fast enough it wont kill anything just piss it off for a few days. Make sure you lift and not push. Tanks are very top heavy and a stand will break before it slides.
bfessler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bfessler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2011 at 8:19am
What type of floor is it sitting on? If it's not on a carpet you may just be able to slide it over. I had a similar situation on my frag tank which had over 100 gallons. I was setting up my skimmer on the side of the rack and it was 1" to close to the door to allow it to close. I just sat next to the tank and braced myself using my legs to push it from the bottom of the rack. I was able to move the whole system without draining any of it. This was a steel rack on a concrete floor though so be careful I wouldn't want you to break your stand or damage your floor either.

This is what I had to move. 
Burt

An equal opportunity reefer,
I support all hobbyists and organizations involved in Marine Aquarium Keeping.
[email protected]
jmw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jmw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2011 at 10:08am
cut the cabinet
smacky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smacky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2011 at 10:41am
It's carpet.
Crazy Tarzan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crazy Tarzan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2011 at 11:01am
drain the tank down as far as you can, then lift and move.  Did it with my BC29 all by myself, but with the 46 I'd get a couple big guys to do it for me.
Was that in there yesterday? Casper--WY windier than ?

Down to a 20, soon to double or nothing
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2011 at 5:34pm
If you drain it half way and lift up and pull/drag it over.

Burt the muscle man. LOL
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
BnK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BnK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2011 at 12:42am
let me know what you figure out. I have to move my 95gallon from one wall to the wall across the room. And dont have any idea how to without emptying it
Brett and Kristine | Layton, UT | Brett's e-mail: [email protected] | Kristine's e-mail: [email protected]
smacky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smacky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2011 at 8:32am
Here's what I think I'm going to do. I'm going to scoop out and empty the return and skimmer sections of my sump, then take about half the water out of the fuge and display tank. Then I'll have my dad and two brothers-in-law help me move it over a bit. I think it won't be a problem.
I'll let you know how it all goes. Thanks for the suggenstions
bfessler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bfessler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2011 at 8:48am
Brett

Moving a 95 across the room is a whole different story than moving a 43. The weight of the tank, sand and rock alone will make it difficult to move the tank without draining it and removing the live rock from the display. You are going to have to treat this just like you were moving the tank across town. Here is a link with some good suggestions on moving the tank.

Burt

An equal opportunity reefer,
I support all hobbyists and organizations involved in Marine Aquarium Keeping.
[email protected]
smacky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smacky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2011 at 12:26pm
I drained the fuge and took about half of the water out of the DS and got it moved with some help from brothers-in-law.
I also got a free lesson. When you're moving ballasts and things around and squeezing them into new drawers, unplug them. That was the first time I tripped a 15 amp circuit on myself, it was quite an experience. I don't recommend it. Unplugging the lights first and plugging them back in last it a good idea.
WhiteReef View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WhiteReef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2011 at 4:35pm
Glad to hear you got it moved okay, although the lesson learned probably you could have done without.
----------------

Richard

Former 47G Column Reef, Magna
20" x 18" x 31"H
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2011 at 9:57pm
Ouch Glad you're okay. 
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic