Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Frag tank addon to system

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
badger126 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote badger126 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Frag tank addon to system
    Posted: March 21 2011 at 2:56am
I need some suggestions. I've been wanting to add a frag tank to my existing tank setup for a while. My sandbed is littered with zoas

I'd like my display to look more like a display with a nice white sandbed and have a frag tank for all my easy to cut zoa frags on tiles.

My current setup is a 90 gallon display with a 40breeder sump. I've already purchased a 40 breeder for my frag tank, a glass-holes.com overflow kit, and my lights will be on the way this week. My problem comes from the fact that when I built my sump I was thinking water quantity and so right now when I shut the pump off on my system there's only about 2" of room at the top of the sump. I'm afraid that if I plumb this new tank into the existing sump it will be too much and overflow the floor. Being a poor college student, I'm trying to do this as cheap as possible.

Here's my idea and I need advice as to whether this will work or not. I did a little crappy paint diagram to show what I'm thinking: Red is for return lines, blue for overflow lines. The green line would be a constant siphon between my existing sump and a rubbermaid container.

I figure as the water is pumped into the frag tank from the rubbermaid it will drive the siphon to refill it and therefore maintain the water level in both the rubbermaid and my existing sump. Then when I turn the pumps off the siphon can equalize the water level between both and give me some much needed extra space water quantity. Will this work? Has anyone tried it? Or does anyone have a better idea? I'm space restricted on the left side of my existing tank so I need to put the frag tank on the right, and I can't think of any other way to link the frag tank in. I really don't want to maintain 2 separate systems.
kody72 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kody72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2011 at 3:48am
i would just run to return pumps in one sump and put on check valves they reduce a ton of water from being siphoned down your return. i personally wouldn't trust the siphon between the two tanks
KODY72 FISHROOM BUILD
281g DT
187g Rimless Frag
ATI PM lighting
SRO DSCR-300ext
badger126 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote badger126 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2011 at 3:55am
What do you mean check valves? The only check valve I'm familiar with is like the ones you'd put on an airline.
badger126 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote badger126 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2011 at 3:33am
Bump - any ideas or suggestions?
bfessler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bfessler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2011 at 10:07am
Your drawing looks like it would work OK but I would want to take steps to assure the constant siphon doesn't break. If flow through the siphon isn't strong enough to purge any small air bubbles that might enter the siphon they could slow the flow and eventually break the siphon. You could plumb in a small aqualifter pump and have it come on for a few minutes each day to make sure the line is free from air. 
Burt

An equal opportunity reefer,
I support all hobbyists and organizations involved in Marine Aquarium Keeping.
[email protected]
lilnicky864 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lilnicky864 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2011 at 10:48am
what are the zoos called in tthe top pic bottom right  green ones w long lashes   they look like mine and not sure what they are
Deluxe247 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deluxe247 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2011 at 11:21am
So if I understand your diagram, the rubbermaid container is for additional water capacity so your sump doesn't overflow in the event of a power failure, or just when the main pump is off, correct? that is a good thought. They do make check valves (one way valves) for pvc so in theory you could omit the rubbermaid sump expansion. HOWEVER, I am always very cautious about relying on check valves, because I have seen them fail and it's not pretty when they do. In my experience, it's not a question of "if" but "when" they will fail.
In regards to the siphon, the most reliable way to feed the expansion tank would be to connect the two near the bottom (below the water line), so that way the water just flows between the two without worrying about breaking a siphon. That's obviously more work than setting up a siphon because you'd have to drain the sump and drill it, but ultimately it's a little safer bet in terms of water flow.
Anyway, just offering suggestions to think about.

Edited by Deluxe247 - March 26 2011 at 11:22am
90G Mixed Reef
badger126 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote badger126 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2011 at 2:08am
Thanks for the extra suggestions, I was thinking about drilling and connecting the two but since I have my return section of my sump on the left side and the new tank has to go on the right side it just wouldn't work out - that's why I'm looking for other solutions.
bfessler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bfessler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2011 at 5:26pm
Could you take some pics of the space you have to work with and how much space is behind the sump as well? It would help us give some practical suggestions. I am having trouble visualizing how everything is currently set up, what else is in the room or rooms and developing my thoughts. Without knowing exactly how your existing tank is set up and what the available space for the frag tank looks like it is difficult to give you a workable suggestion.

If possible I would like to see a full space shot of the existing tank, sump and location of the frag tank, close up pics of both the front and back of the sump if possible and possibly a close up of where the frag tank will go.
Burt

An equal opportunity reefer,
I support all hobbyists and organizations involved in Marine Aquarium Keeping.
[email protected]
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic