Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

TOXIC!!!!!!!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2011 at 12:06pm
That would be awesome! Please build us a dream presentation. The more experienced among us will all chip in so plan for plenty of comments and discussion in your presentation. Thumbs Up
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
builderofdreams View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote builderofdreams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2011 at 7:54pm

I would be able to make the presentation on your May or after meeting.

I also think we could set the standard for other and future clubs by making the TOXIC Header a permanent header on our Forums page.(or whatever you want to call it).A place where we can inform on the Hazards of Corals,fish,test kits, additives and actual incidents that required medical attention and how it was treated and long term affects.
I am really glad that this post got the attention it deserved.Just goes to show that this club has True Aquarist'sThumbs Up
It's Not a Hobby It's an Obsession
150&210 Gallons of Madness and. Sanity! 801-850-4915

http://www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=65135&title=builderofdreams-feedback-post
dc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2011 at 8:09pm
i have to say that was said really well. thanks. if you need any help with info i would be willing to help.
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2011 at 8:30pm
I'm going to send this to Will so he can get it on the calendar.  

Adam
Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
JB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2011 at 8:36pm
I feel that this would be a very helpful meeting for all of us newbies, I have yet to fag a coral.  This is something that I would love to know about.
If not for construction, where would we be?
phys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2011 at 11:28pm
All great and warrented ideas! I'll definately attend the meeting where this is going to be presented!
Will Spencer View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Will Spencer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2011 at 1:22pm
We will be having a presidency meeting in the next few weeks.  I will make sure that this meeting gets planned and that we use the info that is gathered here and will be gathered for that meeting.  Builder of Dreams, we would love for you to put together a presentation.  I will contact you and we can work out the details.  (You probably won't hear from me until after tax season is over though so don't worry if you don't hear from me for a couple of weeks.)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote builderofdreams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2011 at 4:29pm
Little Reminder.

http://www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=65135&title=builderofdreams-feedback-post
mashfan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mashfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2011 at 9:40pm
I was cleaning my tank one day and I have a pink tip anemone.  I knew that it would sting me and tried to stay away from it the best i could but it stung me a few times and didn't think anything about it till a few house later my arm from my wrist to my elbow was covered in stings and all swollen and looked like i had 3rd degree burns.  I had no idea that the anemone would do that much damage.  I still have the marks on my arm from it.  thank heavens i was not allergic to it.
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2011 at 10:45pm
I think there's a big difference here in discussing animals that are toxic (venomous/poisonous) versus typical injuries when dealing with any exotic animal.

I'm shocked how often I see that no one knows how to treat a coral sting (which is the same treatment for most marine injuries.)  This is an extremely easy/inexpensive/effective treatment, but often gives corals a bad rep b/c the hobbyist had an allergic reaction.

Thankfully I am not very sensitive...but that can change at anytime for anyone.  I highly suggest keeping a list of what you touch on a daily basis on you (in your purse, wallet, etc).  This should include things like, "zoanthids, palythoas, lionfish, calcium chloride, etc."  That way, if someone found you passed out on the sidewalk from a delayed reaction, they'll have an idea where to start.

And...if you're just worried about palythoa toxin, it takes about 4g of ingested palythoas to kill an average human (yes, horrible side effects occur with lower dosages.)  I don't think any of us will purposefully ingest 4g worth of palythoas, but this is possible with young children and/or pets that may accidentally eat them.  Keep all aquarium supplies out of reach!
www.reefdup.com
Diving since 2009, reefkeeping since 2007, & fishkeeping since 1987
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote builderofdreams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2011 at 6:43pm
Little Reminder.

Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2011 at 9:33pm
We hope you are still excited. We're on for October.

Adam
Come to a meeting, they’re fun!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote builderofdreams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2011 at 9:25am
Little ReminderBig smile

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic