Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

About to give up :(

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
gbarker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gbarker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: About to give up :(
    Posted: April 03 2011 at 4:38pm

I sold my 110 acrylic tank a while ago and since then everything has gone down hill. I have a 75 glass tank and my water wont go clear, i traded my fish that i thought would harm coral for fish that are actually harming my coral, i have ich in my tank and I cant get it treated. I got my water tested and pets and such said my nitrates and nitrites are a little bit high.. i dont really know what to do..

[53] xGarrettxEdurancex
ewaldsreef View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ewaldsreef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2011 at 4:52pm
Sounds like a good time to take a step back and look at everything. Sometimes thing like to all go wrong at the same time. Happens to me all the time.
To make sense of all this I would need to know all about your system. What kind of filtration? How many and what kinds of fish and inverts? Which fish are getting ick? How high are the nitrates? The more info we have the easier it is to help. Your tank shouldnt have any nitrites unless its cyling or things are going very wrong. Glad to help if I can.
Contact me for professional aquarium maintenance and localy grown coral frags. [URL=http://www.aquatitranquility.com][/URL]

gbarker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gbarker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2011 at 5:07pm
Well i have just a hang on the back filter thats rated at 100 gallons or whatever, i have 2 jets in the tank so i can get a little flow, i have a lionfish, a lunar wrasse, a sailfin, and an eel. 

lionfish was getting better (going back to his normal color) but now his colors are fading again. he is still eating though and i'm putting garlic in his food. he has very few ich spots on him.

lunar wrasse is doing good, i have only seen 3 spots on him but they've been gone for a moment. hes doing everything he used to do.

sailfin is eating stuff off the rocks but i feel like he's the one who put ich in my tank because he is covered.

Eel is being his normal self and eating food with garlic on it. dont see any spots on him but its hard to see cause since he's a snowflake.

I have some 5 star green polyps ( i think thats what its called, it looks like grass kind of) and i would think that if my tank was really doing bad, the polyps wouldnt come out but they seem fine.

I dont understand why my tank is soo foggy, my jets arent facing towards my sand but it seems to get more and more cloudy.
[53] xGarrettxEdurancex
bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2011 at 5:11pm
Can you post a pic? You may need more filtration.
Jackie Stuver

"wait these aren't the happy Hawaiians oompa doompa godly heaven on your face zoas?   I dont want them then. lol!" Ksmart
gbarker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gbarker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2011 at 5:13pm

yeah i will as soon as i get home. i dont get it though, mark doesnt have much filtration in some of his tanks and his tanks are crystal clear!

[53] xGarrettxEdurancex
bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2011 at 5:21pm
Do you have a lot of live rock in there? The more the better your natural filtration will be.
Jackie Stuver

"wait these aren't the happy Hawaiians oompa doompa godly heaven on your face zoas?   I dont want them then. lol!" Ksmart
CapnMorgan View Drop Down
The Capn'

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CapnMorgan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2011 at 5:35pm
I'll do my best to explain what I would do. 
First- Ich. Tangs are Ich magnets, that's just the way they are. As long as your fish are eating they should pull through. Just keep feeding garlic in their foods, and consider getting a UV sterilizer.

2nd Nitrates- People often live under the misconception that nitrates should be 0. That's not really true. Reefs will do fine with nitrates up to about 50ppm, though 20 is a good number to shoot for. 

3rd cloudy water- This sounds like a bacterial or algae bloom to me, but I can't tell without a photo. In either case a UV sterilizer will clear that right up.

4th, filtration. When running a marine tank it's best not to think of filtration in the traditional sense like a freshwater tank. In fact you don't really need a hang on the back filter anyway (They become nitrate generators). However you should have plenty of live rock in the tank and high flow. For example, on my tank the total water volume of my system is circulated about 30 times ever hour. Most of this water movement is supplied by powerhead pumps, in my case Koralia's. You should also have at least 2.5-4 inches of sand in the bottom of your tank, this will help to reduce nitrates. If you don't have a refugium on this system you should also have some sort of macro algae in the display (caulerpa works well and is not bad looking). This macro algae will suck up nitrates, phosphates, and other stuff you'll want out of the water. You should also be doing regular water changes, at least 10% monthly. BUT the most important thing is not to overfeed your tank. Most nitrate problems are caused by the hobbyist overfeeding. Feed only what your fish can consume in 1 minute, or feed very small servings a couple times per day so that not much if any food is wasted. 

lastly, your fish choices. The only fish you listed that is not reef safe is the lunare wrasse. Lions, and eels are generally fine as long as you don't keep them with shrimp or small fish. Lunare wrasses will eat most invertebrates, and will chow down on corals. If you ever have questions as to a fish's reef safety feel free to post on the board, or a good online resource is liveaquaria.com you can go there look up your fish, and read up on the care info available for it. They usually include max size, temp, reef safety (Yes or no) and other helpful stuff.
Steve
My Old 180G Mixed Reef
Currently:
120G Wavefront Mixed
29G Seahorse & Softies
Running ReefAngel Plus x2
435-8
arthuriv View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arthuriv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2011 at 5:38pm
Is it a white cloudy or a yellow cloudy?
How long has it been setup?
What are your water parameters?
Can you post a pic of the tank?

Quality Marines Aquaculturing & Captive Breeding program!
Presented by Ashley & Chelsea from Reef On
Thursday 6 Oct 2016
gbarker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gbarker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2011 at 6:41pm
I have a lot of live rock, i would say at least 80 lbs.. i have about 1 1/2 inches of live sand as well that i got from another person on the board. I didnt think i needed any kind of major filtration system but i wanted to have the hang on the back filter so i can have activated carbon in my water. my tanks been set up for 3 months maybe? i got most my LR and LS from established tanks. i do have a lot of chaeto in my tank also.

Whats the cost of a UV sterilizer?

I thought this sailfin was going to be ok in my tank but i had some frags i bought from dahn and they were all fine until i got the sailfin, my birdsnest with the green polyps were pretty much white after a full day and my green slimers tips were white. i thought maybe it was the lunar wrasse but i have had them in my tank for about 3 weeks then in 1 night they turned to crap, those frags are now in my friends tank so they can hopefully regrow.

Arthuriv - the water is a white cloudy.

As soon as i can i will post a picture, i'm working till 10 tonight.
[53] xGarrettxEdurancex
bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2011 at 7:43pm
Do you have nitrites as well as nitrates? You don't want nitrites and if your water quality is not good those pieces of sps will die quik I doubt it was the fish.
When you got your sand was it all used(live) sand? If so that could be part of your problem, if it was mixed up being removed from a tank and then put right in your tank you will have issues. Normally you will want to rinse the sand and only get a cup or two of live sand to start the sand.
Jackie Stuver

arthuriv View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arthuriv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2011 at 7:51pm
I agree with capnMorgan it sounds like a bacteria bloom but I wouldn't run out and buy a UV sterilizer unless you have the money and want one. The bacteria bloom should clear up in a few days. It is quite normal with a new tank. This is the bacteria that helps with your nitrogen cycle and is most likely just trying to catchup to your bioload. Tho the UV sterilize may help rid your water of the ich it will still have to take its cycle through the fish at this point. Like capnmorgan said just keep feed them with the garlic.

How long has the water been cloudy?
How long ago did you add your fish?
What are your parameters:
pH:
Alk:
Cal:
Nitrates:
Ammonia:

Quality Marines Aquaculturing & Captive Breeding program!
Presented by Ashley & Chelsea from Reef On
Thursday 6 Oct 2016
DLindquist View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DLindquist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2011 at 8:57pm
Keep in mind.... Garlic Oil is not a cure all for ich, although it can help.
Wrasses are more hardy against resisting / fighting ich.
Filtration may very well be a good portion of the problem. Pictures are very helpful.
A government strong enough to give you everything you want, is powerful enough to take everything you have.

gbarker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gbarker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2011 at 9:05pm
when i got the sand mark told me to wash it so i did. there is also about 20 lbs of utah sand in there. I wish i asked her to specify what everything was in my water, i dont have a water tester so i cant give you numbers. She did say i had nitrates and nitrites..

The water has been cloudy for about 3 to 4 days now, it was really bad yesterday though.

about 2 to 3 weeks after i set up the tank i put a piece of coral in my tank to kind of "test" it out. the green star polyps popped out with in 30 minutes or so, after that i put in 1 fish a day.
[53] xGarrettxEdurancex
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2011 at 10:01pm
Have you tried another Garlic Oil? I have another type that I use when one isn't working. I'd be happy to let you try it.

Sometimes the best or only thing we can do is to leave it be and let Mother Nature do her thing. Sometimes that means a fish or two may die while things are balancing. Ying Yang

Hang in there. We've all been here before. I've probably gone through hundreds of incidents where I was so frustrated that I wanted to bag it. We'll get to the bottom of it.Smile
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic