Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Sort of new

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
zippeay View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zippeay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sort of new
    Posted: April 18 2011 at 9:07am
Well, I'm not "New" I actually had a 45g about 4-5 years ago and sold it when I got divorced then last week a friend of mine gave me a really good deal on a 75g bow front.  I set it up this weekend and put 80 lbs of live rock in it.  I'm going to take it pretty slow as money is a little tight.  My wife had a heart attack when I told her I was getting the tank "She still doesn't know I spend almost 500 setting it up lol".  I will post a few pictures when I get home, the guy I bought the live rock really helped me a lot.  He came over and told me how to set it up because I've never had a refugium/sump.  My first question is, I bougth a protein skimmer that is rated for 65g tank.  Should I take it back and get a bigger one or just run it?  My plans for probably the next year or so is simply to put some fish and soft corals etc.  Where is the best place to buy a clean up crew?  I used to go to a place in Layton but they seem pretty pricey now.  Thanks a lot, I'm sure I'll have a lot of questions here very soon.
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2011 at 5:02pm

back.

That skimmer will be great. (A reef can be great without one.)

Chad here on this MB has awesome prices on Snails and Hermits.
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
zippeay View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zippeay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2011 at 9:35pm
Thanks, I found a used Red Sea Berlin X2 skimmer for the same price as the smaller one.  So I took the one I originally had back to the store and bought this other one. I also got some T5 lighting "from arammel" and a UV sterilizer!  I know I won't need the sterilizer for awhile but should I wait to hook up the protein skimmer until my tank is a little more established?  I'm worried that it will clean the water too much and take longer to set up.  The guy I bought my LR from brought a 55 gallon garbage can full of water/rocks and I dumped everything into my tank.  So I'm thinking that probably helped it out a bit "I hope". I'm pretty excited, this setup is a lot bigger than my last one and a lot more sophisticated too.  
zippeay View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zippeay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2011 at 9:37pm
Oh btw, what is Chad's forum name?  Or is that his forum name?  Where does he live or where is his store?  Thanks again!
CapnMorgan View Drop Down
The Capn'

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CapnMorgan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2011 at 12:05am
Welcome to WMAS, we're glad to have you!

Chad's MB name is Chad so you can pm him using that.
Steve
My Old 180G Mixed Reef
Currently:
120G Wavefront Mixed
29G Seahorse & Softies
Running ReefAngel Plus x2
435-8
zippeay View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zippeay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2011 at 7:56pm
Thanks!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic