Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

sps is turning white

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
Author
FirePig View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FirePig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2011 at 10:34pm
I just want to start out by saying I'm relatively new to the hobby, and have been using the wmas forum for guidance over the last year or so. Rarely do I post, (with this being about my second) but after reading a few of you rip on Mark for the better part of a day, I have to chime in.

I don't know Mark from the man on the moon, but I have to say he has helped me a ton with my tank and doesn't even know it. I've only met him once in person. He was way nice, and I'd even go as far as to say pretty cool (in an I have a mini ocean in my family room nerdy, dorky kind of way). Sometimes he does sound a bit harsh, but he usually says it like it is, and only means to help. It seems there are only a select few that have a problem with Mark, and it turns out those few also seem to be the most vocal right now here in wmas. There have been a few that have said maybe they just have 'thick skins', but Mark is not offensive to them. I think the actual case is there are some that are much more sensitive than most. If Mark is really that offensive to you, I'm of the opinion you just say how you feel once, or better yet, ignore. Don't drag a person through the mud for it or you're no better than they are.

Anyway, just wanted to get a perspective out there from someone that is not very vocal here, but reads most of these threads like they're going out of style. All my opinion mind you, and pretty much coming from a newbie, so take it for what it's worth. :)

I gotta say, I appreciate everyone here. Thanks for all the opinions and advice that have increased my knowledge in the hobby enough that I can enjoy even the simplest aspects of a beautiful reef.

Pig

BnK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BnK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2011 at 11:29pm
K I'm gonna say this ONE more time. No one has said mark hasnt been helpful in this forum(that i can think of the top of my head). AGAIN it is the way he speaks and chooses to comment on posts. It is the private messages. It has nothing to do with sensitivity IMO. It has to do with respect and treating people with equality.Yes like it has been said in this thread He has helped many even me when I started Im sure he will continue to do help many. I know this was supposed to be done with and moving on since venting is done and hopefully points on both sides were made.But apparently NOT.
As for dragging through the mud I think some that he has pm'd like pam and some others may have felt the same way. And I have met a few others from fish stores,and other forums that said they left the wmas because of it.So I think there are a lil more than a few. maybe not.
But anyways. I dont hate mark I dont despise him. He is intellegent. He has his own ways of doin things.
Brett and Kristine | Layton, UT | Brett's e-mail: [email protected] | Kristine's e-mail: [email protected]
CapnMorgan View Drop Down
The Capn'

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CapnMorgan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2011 at 8:39pm
Wow, I'm gone camping for a few days and I miss everything!

That said, here's my two cents. Brett and Kristine, I can definitely see where you're coming from. I have been told (on many occasions) that I'm crazy or flat our wrong for doing something with my tanks. My personal philosophy is that there are almost as many ways to keep a reef as there are people who keep them. I realize you are frustrated, and even hurt because of what has happened. I also know Mark can be abrasive at times. I believe he truly wants to help but comes across in exactly the wrong way sometimes. I know I have had more than one disagreement with Mark, but we've always managed to work things out. Please know that WMAS is here to help you with your questions, and if you ever need information or help please don't hesitate to pm or even email me. I may not answer right away (I'm usually on late at night) but I will do my best to get back to you asap. Starting out in reefkeeping can be frustrating, especially when getting into the world of SPS, I think every person here can say they have lost corals for apparently no reason at all. I know I have. I hope that you'll continue to post here on the boards for help. I know I will continue to do my best to help answer questions and solve problems with anyone who posts. Also feel free to call or text me on my cell (the number in my sig) any time and I'll do my best to answer any questions for you. 
Steve
My Old 180G Mixed Reef
Currently:
120G Wavefront Mixed
29G Seahorse & Softies
Running ReefAngel Plus x2
435-8
PDoug View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PDoug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2011 at 9:03pm
This is the thread that would ( not) end yes it goes on and on my friend some people started typing it... Yeah anyway how is the coral? edited for typo stupid envy touch

Edited by PDoug - April 24 2011 at 9:11pm
(307)679-7898 Phillip Douglass 75 Gallon Reef Tank
BnK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BnK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2011 at 10:33pm
thanxs capnmorgan I have heard many good things bout your tank and would love to come see it sometime.
pdoug-well it seems the same no worse no better. They dipped it at aquatic dreams. I brought it home and have watched it. and if it starts gettin worse i will just get it fragged.
Brett and Kristine | Layton, UT | Brett's e-mail: [email protected] | Kristine's e-mail: [email protected]
Kristine Woolsey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristine Woolsey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2011 at 10:40pm
Thank you capt. We will deff PM you.
Kristine | Layton, UT | e-mail: [email protected]

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristine Woolsey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2011 at 10:41pm
@Doug, the coral doesn't look any worse...
PDoug View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PDoug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2011 at 10:48pm
Synchronised posting ! I love it reminds me of arguing with myself . As for the Coral Hope it works out good for you
(307)679-7898 Phillip Douglass 75 Gallon Reef Tank
BnK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BnK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2011 at 10:49pm
lol yea that was funny I didnt even know she was posting. thanx alot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristine Woolsey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2011 at 10:56pm
lol we have done that a couple times.
ptronsp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ptronsp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2011 at 11:08pm
I am glad the coral hasn't gotten worse!
 Pam
DLindquist View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DLindquist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2011 at 11:44pm
Originally posted by kody72 kody72 wrote:

Oh if I wanted affordable reef I wouldn't be in this hobby. Because its not affordable it takes a lot of money to have a nice looking reef not just boulders aka lbtr and algae in a tank with a few softies in it.
LOLLOLThis hit home for me.LOLLOL
A government strong enough to give you everything you want, is powerful enough to take everything you have.

jcoulter17 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jcoulter17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2011 at 5:38pm
So hows the coral doing...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristine Woolsey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2011 at 5:55pm
Originally posted by jcoulter17 jcoulter17 wrote:

So hows the coral doing...

If you came over more often you'd know... :-P Geeze do I stink? You never come over any more.

Edited by Kristine Woolsey - May 25 2011 at 5:55pm
jcoulter17 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jcoulter17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2011 at 6:00pm
I know how the coral is doing. I just wanted people to read this post again.....

This is not my quote but someone else from this post

You know it is really frustrating to me that more and more people that are coming to this forum for answers and help are being left frustrated, hurt, angry, and confused because of the way they are being treated. There are so many people in this hobby with the knowledge and the know how to help people along ( especially noobies) and that is why they come to the board is to get answers... not belittled. After all this is a hobby we all want to enjoy.. can't we all enjoy it together no matter how many years we have been in it?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
  Share Topic