Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

40 Breeder as first reef

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Thorn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2011 at 11:22pm
Time for an update.  Dion fixed me up with starter sand, rock and more.  The people in this club are great.  Thanks Dion!

Anyway, the water seems to be doing well, except a couple of days ago the phosphate reading spiked up.  This seems odd since nitrate, nitrite and Ammonia stayed at 0 or a trace. I took it as a sign to get a basic clean up crew, so I now have 4 Astrids, 2 turbos, and 4 hermit crabs wondering around.  They seem to be very active.  I'll have to do a water change if the phosphate do not come down.

The corals are all over the board on how well they are doing.  A couple, like the one in the middle seem to be taking turns going white, then gaining color and standing up.  I assume it is the phosphate, but I also suspect they are just toying with my emotions.

Here are some photos:

I finally put the doors on.  I will need to do some pulls later.

I've been moving the Remora skimmer around a bit.  I just built the tower for it, which just sits in the sump area and has it's own bubble trap.  This seems to work well, but I did not measure twice and it is an inch too short...
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2011 at 11:38pm
Great to have you here and this thread. Enjoy the ride.

Adam
Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
Thorn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2011 at 7:57pm
Time for an update.  Here's a couple of pictures:

Left side
Left side of tank.

Right Side
Right side.

Unfortunatley, one of my Firefish decided to turn himself into fishy leather yesterday.  Everything seems to be doing well except for one purple hammer, which has been staying all balled up.  I started dosing iodine, and I wonder if I over did that.  The green one seems very happy, though. 

As you can probably see, I have too many Dwarf Cerith snales in my CUC.  I ordered them from reefcleaners.com and they were very generous.  If anyone wants some, let me know.  I also have plenty of cheato, whichis growing very nicely in the sump, if anyone needs a start.

I'd like some good Caulerpa and some ornimental macro for the display if anyone has any suggestions.
40 Gal. Breeder - 20 L refug/sump
pgravis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pgravis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2011 at 8:34pm
Funny coincidence, my purple hammer rarely fully opens and hasn't grown at all in nearly a year, meanwhile my green hammer grows like crazy!   Not sure why. Good looking tank!
See my house: www.eclecticvictorian.com
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic