Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Question about phosphates...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
xlr8r View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xlr8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Question about phosphates...
    Posted: May 21 2011 at 3:47pm
...and other "contamination". I have some not-live sand I want to add to my tank. If i rinse the sand in tap water and let it dry completely, will the elements and other things found in tap water be trapped in the sand and leech into my tank? Is this something I should even worry about? Thnaks!
When you hear hoofbeats....Think of a zebra
jmw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jmw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2011 at 3:59pm

From what Ive read, a lot of people use tap water in their tanks. So I wouldn't be too concerned about it.

Edited by jmw - May 21 2011 at 4:00pm
xlr8r View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xlr8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2011 at 7:32pm

You've got a good point. My concern is that this is a no sump/refugium, no skimmer ect. tank. Ive been battling some hair algae and the TDS in our tap water is  pretty high out here. I'm winning the battle with the algea and don't want to fuel it any more.

Lewy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2011 at 8:08pm
Don't worry too much about it. I added some utah sand to my little tank and I just rinsed it with regular tap water. I don't have a sump or skimmer either. I use a HOB with chaeto. after adding the extra sand my problems with algea ended.
40 gal w/ 20 sump
CapnMorgan View Drop Down
The Capn'

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CapnMorgan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2011 at 8:35pm
I would think you'll be ok. I have some clean never used oolitic sand you could have if you want. It wouldn't take too much to have a good affect on the tank. you're also welcome to some RODI water. I make about 50 gallons every day, so you're welcome to come get some if you want.
Steve
My Old 180G Mixed Reef
Currently:
120G Wavefront Mixed
29G Seahorse & Softies
Running ReefAngel Plus x2
435-8
xlr8r View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xlr8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2011 at 7:10pm
I'd love to take you up on that offer Cap'n. I dont have much to offer for trade. I'll PM you with something. Thanks!!
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2011 at 8:04pm
In my experience, a little high TDS tap water left after cleaning sand will be no problem at all, but if the "non-live" sand you are speaking of was once LS then I would think twice about using it. Many different forms of pollution come out of old dead LS and LR. I'm battling a problem similar to this right now.

On the last Reef Tour, a person was asking me why coralline algae isn't growing and the rock is still white that they brought back almost two years ago from the beaches of Fiji. As I told him, the answer is found in the Tips section of the thread linked below.

BTW, PO4 is not nearly the problem that the hobby seems to think it is.

Edited by Mark Peterson - May 23 2011 at 9:22am
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic