Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

anemone

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
BnK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BnK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: anemone
    Posted: May 22 2011 at 11:27pm
my wifes crawled into her over flow somehow. And ideas on how to get it out? will it come out or die in there. i cant get it out cuz the pipes are in the way and it is behind them.
Brett and Kristine | Layton, UT | Brett's e-mail: [email protected] | Kristine's e-mail: [email protected]
jmtreml View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jmtreml Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2011 at 4:47am

I had one of my anemone's get into my overflow, and had to use a powerhead to make it mad and detach itself.  Another way is to put an ice cube by its foot, (not on its foot) and that should make it mad enough to detach itself.  Hope this helps.

34 Gallon Red Sea Max

29 gallon Bio cube
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2011 at 7:43am
I hate that about anemones.
If there is no way to remove the piping, try stopping the flow through the overflow and letting the water back up to where the water level is above the overflow teeth. The anemone may crawl out on it's own. A little prodding with a stick can't hurt.

Otherwize, I'd shut off the pump, remove the Drain and return piping(hopefully it's not glued in), allow the overflow to drain, then scrape it off with a blade algae scraper. I use my Kent Algae Scraper for this all the time. A single edge razor blade in a little plastic holder works too(Home Depot has them in the paint section). Go slow, keeping the blade against the hard surface. If the anemone has partly stuck to the corner silicone, scrape it off all the hard surfaces then use your fingernail or a stick to scrape/push it off the silicone. When it's out of water, each part that is scraped off stays loose.
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic