Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

HELP!! Safe MH ballast mounting

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Adam Haycock View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Haycock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: HELP!! Safe MH ballast mounting
    Posted: January 07 2005 at 12:43pm

I am adding another MH to my lighting setup. Here is where I mounted the 250watt HQI ballast. The only thing the ballast is touching is a ceramic tile which is is mounted on. I was planning on running all the wires into the metal electrical box behind it so all the connections are protected. So my question is...is this going to be safe the way I arranged it? Should the ballast be in a metal box or something? Thanks

Edited by BananaTropics
Carl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2005 at 1:05pm
I would (IMHO) provide a bit more protection, but I try to er on the side of caution. Adding an extruded aluminum or other form of sheild with heat sink will help prevent any heat stress related discoloration of the wall behind, etc. Also, it would provide some protection from splashes and from burns that could easly be experiences if the ballast is touched. There pretty hot! But again, JMHO.
In Syracuse

"I believe that forgiving them is God's function. Our job is simply to arrange the meeting." - Gen. H. Norman Schwarzkopf

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Haycock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2005 at 2:02pm
I looked at home depot for a metal box that would be big enough, but couldn't find anything. The ballast is about 5"x5". How are most people mounting these ballasts? And Jon, I don't have a spare computer case

Edited by BananaTropics
jfinch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2005 at 2:15pm

And Jon, I don't have a spare computer case

That fact that I couldn't find a suitable box for cheap was why I stuck mine in a computer case.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Haycock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2005 at 2:25pm
Where it is now, it should't get splashed on and its in the back of the stand away from where I work. It is securely mounted and there is no risk of it going anywhere. What is the risk of having it where it is? Could it start a fire?
j's55 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote j's55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2005 at 5:17pm
I have the same ballast. I put it on a brick and then
built a case for it, the back and bottom were open. but
mine is outside of the tank so I painted it.

I don't think it will start a fire but they get really
hot so I would put more insulation on the bottom but that
is me.

Edited by j's55
Josh Zorn
45G reef
lots of tropical plants
Cell it 910 3924
bugzme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugzme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2005 at 5:35pm

As long as you have the tile under it it will be fine. there is no fire hazard if it is grounded properly.

Jeff
125 tank
50 gallon sump
T-5 lighting
Rum drinker, Carbon User
I KNOW ROCKS THAT ARE YOUNGER THEN ME!! I AM A Realist! I write what I think!!
Aquarium Creations View Drop Down
Pet Store
Pet Store

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aquarium Creations Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2005 at 5:41pm
I have put ballast in the gray metal power box you can buy at a supply house im not sure if HD will carry that but i have done that before looks pretty good..
Aquarium Maintenance,Consulting,Custom Built Glass Aquariums
Rimless/Euro,24Hr Emergency Service 8015485201
Www.UtahAquariumDoctors.com
[email protected]

j's55 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote j's55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2005 at 10:28pm
Originally posted by bugzme bugzme wrote:

As long as you have the tile under it
it will be fine. there is no fire hazard if it is
grounded properly.

Mine is the same one it is a magnetic 250W and it did not
come grounded and still isnt am I
Josh Zorn
45G reef
lots of tropical plants
Cell it 910 3924
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic