Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Snails eating my clam?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Snails eating my clam?
    Posted: May 04 2003 at 1:57pm

Has anyone had experience with tiny long white snails on a clam? I found an article about them and it appears that I have a predator that is eating my clam. It appears that I must physically remove these snails.

Here is the article which was very full of other helpful information about reef aquariums  www.exotictropicals.com/encyclo/fishnchips/sept99/fnc0999.html

Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2003 at 10:08pm

Is your clam a Tridacna?  Actually, this isn't all that unusual.  For most people not too difficult to overcome, but for you Mark.... well I think your clam is toast. 

Just kidding, I only say that because I know you don't like the world's greatest (and most common aquarium fish) the wrasse.  But, they fix the problem.  Here is one of many articles that explains it......

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/mar2003/Editorial.htm

Adam

Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2003 at 11:28am

Thanks Adam, I appreciate your response and the informative article. How could I get one of those Leopard Wrasse? My tank is only 10 gal but there are others besides me that have too many flatworms, so I could "pass the wrasse" if it cleans up my tank. (partial view below)

The clam is, I believe, a Crocea. Why?

Toasted clam...ummm sounds good. Is that a seafood that you could try?

BTW- Thanks for the feedback in your email a few days ago. I am willing to let go of my "baby", the club. It's difficult, but I will stop meddling in other people's business and I'm also going to reduce my involvement on this message board. If I have offended anyone, I hope you will please forgive me.

Your friend, Mark

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Pet Store
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2003 at 12:16pm

Why do you feel you have to reduce your involvement on this board? I apprecite your advice and involvement.  By the way, your tank looks real nice.

Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2003 at 12:31pm

I should mention that Six line wrasse are also reported as being beneficial in this regard.  Or even better, any of the Halichoeres spp. will do the same thing, they are cheap, and easy to get.  Message me, or I'll message you if interested.

Adam

Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
Suzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2003 at 12:36pm
Mark, You can meddle in our business anytime! You are my fish hero!
jbruse View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbruse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2003 at 5:26pm
??Mark meddlesome??  I hope you don't limit your activity here, I have gotten some great info from you!  Besides some times people need somebody to meddle in their business!!
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2003 at 4:52pm

So much for reducing my involvement. Thanks for your kind comments. Adam is probably laughing cause he knows I'm addicted to this hobby!

TPF is convenient right off the freeway so I stopped in and spoke with Jake, Marcus and Kirk Talbot, who happened to be there too (Kirk may be looking for some nice tank raised Bangaii Cardinals to breed). Since my brother, Rod, hasn't had any luck with a Six-line Wrasse eating his flatworms, the best option we decided was to forgo the Wrasse and just pick off the snails. I will repeat when they show up again and perhaps they will eventually be eradicated.

This morning, before the lights came on, the snails were all up under the mantel. Luckily this clam has not attached to a big rock. It seems happy in the sand. I had it out of the water for about 4 minutes but soon after placing it back, it opened and this afternoon is open even wider than I've seen it for weeks.  You might say it's as happy as a clam! The snails are so small that I had to use a trusty toothpick to flick them off into the bowl. There were about 25! Next time I'll try to remember to take a picture.

John Fletcher View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Fletcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2003 at 8:25am

Hey, Mark a friend of mine had a clam with the snails.  He took a tooh brush and gently brushed them off in a container and dumped them in the trash.  He had to do this twice., no more snails.  He is going on three years.

John Fletcher 

Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2003 at 12:44pm

John,

That sounds like an excellent idea to use a toothbrush. And since I just got one at my recent check-up. It's also nice to know that 2 applications may eradicate the problem.  Thanks

(This is a crazy thing to mention here, but since I have been using the Sonicare electric toothbrush, I don't use a manual toothbrush anymore. I highly recommend Sonicare. It makes my teeth continually feel like I just got them cleaned at the dentist, and with out the pain! It's well worth the $$ because of how well it cleans.)

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic