Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Gluing rocks together?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
evan127 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote evan127 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Gluing rocks together?
    Posted: June 02 2011 at 2:46am
What's the best putty/glue I can get that will hold some very small (fist size) rocks together? I need to get something today that is safe for my tank and critters. Thanks a lot guys!
hydro phoenix View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hydro phoenix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2011 at 7:05am
i use Ic-GEL. bsi makes it. you can find it at any LFS and it's white and maroon red tube. 
recent absurdity..Unicorns have rabies
WhiteReef View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WhiteReef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2011 at 9:23am
Aquamend at home depot is an underwater epoxy that works and the same stuff as at the LFS but much cheaper.   Another option is just the dollar store gel superglue, it is probably about as effective as the ic-gel but much cheaper.  However, I have found that it is hard to glue rocks together.  Most people use acrylic rods to form permanent structures with their rockwork.

----------------

Richard

Former 47G Column Reef, Magna
20" x 18" x 31"H
philhender View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote philhender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2011 at 2:46pm
Hey Rich.. regarding the aquamend, I see on the HD website that "...and becomes white after mixing." But does not specify if that is the dried color as well.  Can you or any one else confirm the color when cured/dry? AND... I assume totally reef safe?
I asked the Lord for the blessing of Patience... he gave me 6 kids!

125g Reef / 55g Sump-Fuge
WhiteReef View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WhiteReef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2011 at 2:56pm
The aquamend stuff is reef safe.  I have used it for years.  Yes it does dry white, but it does get encrusted with coralline algae after awhile.  Some people have found that it affects their skimmer for a short while.
----------------

Richard

20" x 18" x 31"H
evan127 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote evan127 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2011 at 4:37pm
I went to Home Depot to get the Aquamend stuff you suggested WhiteReef, but I was told the company that produces it changed the name to Water Weld. Its the same stuff, just new packaging and name. I'm going to go build a nice rockscape now! Thanks!
evan127 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote evan127 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2011 at 9:50pm
So, I ran into some trouble. I read that the epoxy will harden in 15-25 minutes. But because of the awkward shape of the rocks I can't just simply balance the rocks on top of each other and hope the rocks settle the way I hope for them to and that the epoxy holds. So, what can I do? I was thinking of just getting some clamps and squeezing them together. I guess my question is how long can I have my live rock out of water? And if anyone has a better method I am all ears! Thanks!
WhiteReef View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WhiteReef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2011 at 9:17am
Really the best option is to drill holes in the rock and use acrylic rods.  All glues and epoxy options are usually not strong enough to create structures.  In my tank I used some epoxy to attach a few pieces together, but it was to help prevent them from shifting in the tank.  What I did was stack the rock the way I wanted it in the filled tank.  Then I mixed and placed the epoxy where I wanted it to hold the rock in place.  The rock was placed in such a way that it would have stayed there on its own, but the epoxy just made sure that it did not move around later on.
----------------

Richard

20" x 18" x 31"H
evan127 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote evan127 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2011 at 1:35pm
Mkay. So, acrylic rods sound like the way to go. I don't have any idea how to install, where to buy, or what they even look like. Do you have a link, pictures, etc? Thanks for your help WhiteReef!
Elite-Aquatics View Drop Down
Pet Store
Pet Store

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elite-Aquatics Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2011 at 2:47pm
Delvies Plastics is not far from you, you want to use 1/2" extruded acrylic rod. Then go to home depot and buy a 1/2" cement drill bit. Drill your rocks and then you can epoxy the rod in the rocks to create any structure you would like.
Premium aquarium filtration!
evan127 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote evan127 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2011 at 3:10pm
Thanks Elite-Aquatics! That makes sense. I am going to go get some today!

Just one more question. Should I keep the rock out of the water when it comes time to assemble the rods in the rock and let the epoxy dry for the 15-25 minute recommended time, or assemble it all the way I want and put it back in the water?
P.Kapp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote P.Kapp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2011 at 3:14pm
The rock will stay live for a little while out of the water. I had to do the same thing when setting up my 125. I had my live rock out of water for a couple hours. when I put them back my sponges and everything else were still there and living.
Preston Kapp

210 Gal Reef
evan127 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote evan127 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2011 at 3:17pm
Alright. Its not a lot of rock, maybe a couple pounds (its in my 8 gallon Biocube). So I think I can drill, cut the rods, epoxy, and let it sit for the recommended time all under an hour.
evan127 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote evan127 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2011 at 5:01pm
So, I got 3/8" acrylic rod. I went to Delvies and looked at the 1/2" and thought that it was too big for the rock I have. So I went with the 3/8" rod and I think it'll work much better. Now the fun part begins! I'll post pictures of my creation later. Thanks for your help everyone!
evan127 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote evan127 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2011 at 8:55pm
Well, I royally screwed that up. I ruined all of it. For the size of the rock I am trying to put together its just not feasible. So, I am out of rock now. At least I have acrylic rods now for doing rock down the road for a bigger tank.
rbrinton2373 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rbrinton2373 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2011 at 9:36pm
Question about the rod.  Does it need to be acrylic or can it be nylon?  I have some 1/4 nylon that I was going to use on mine and I need to make sure it is reef safe.  Also if anyone in the syracuse area has any experience in aquascaping I could use some hands on demo's.  I have all the rock I need just waiting and I have an idea for the pillar I want to do just not sure the best way to go about it.
Ryan
Semper Fi
60 gal cube w/39 gal Sump\
MH + T5s
Elite-Aquatics View Drop Down
Pet Store
Pet Store

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elite-Aquatics Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2011 at 6:51pm
Nylon will be fine as well. In fact some people use nylon all thread and nylon nuts to put their rocks all together, with this method you can actually bolt all your rocks together. If you go to www.marcorocks.com they have a pretty good section on this.
Premium aquarium filtration!
DLindquist View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DLindquist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2011 at 7:18pm
When it comes to Epoxy, I would recommend EPO Putty. A relative new product to the US but awesome stuff.
A government strong enough to give you everything you want, is powerful enough to take everything you have.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic