Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

clown fish being aggressive HELP please anyone

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
bentley21 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bentley21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: clown fish being aggressive HELP please anyone
    Posted: June 13 2011 at 1:06am
heres where im at. i just clown fish in my 24 gallon nano. i want to start adding other fish but am scared to do so because today when i went to pick up a coral that fell down the clown fish started ramming my hand, and attacking me and the coral i was holding. Even if i put my hand close to the water it whips its tail and splashes water. What should i do? how am i going to add new fish? i have a scooter blenny in there and he does nothing to it or the cleaner shrimp. so it gives me some hope.  

do you think i should take him out of the tank for a week so i can add a new one or is there no hope?

please give any feed back
davser View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2011 at 1:34am
You can try taking him out for a few weeks you can also scare him away everytime he tries to attack you good luck
It's not about what you know but about who you know
SGH360 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SGH360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2011 at 1:38am
what kind of clown fish is it? how big is it? how long have you had it? Clownfish are pretty close to the damsels so it not a big surprise. There is hope, if you do it the right way. Adding fish will need a fish acclimator box. this box will ensure that the clownfish will not be able to attack the new fish, but this does not mean once you release the fish it will not get harassed.

You need to train your clownfish not to mess with the new fish while the fish is on the acclimator box. you will need a stick of some kind that will able to chase the clownfish away from the box if you see any aggression towards the new fish or if it is just looking the fish in a funny way, eventually the fish will understand that not to mess with the new fish or you'll answer.

hope this helps
Haley'sfish View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Haley'sfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2011 at 9:04am
I had an aggressive clownfish in a biocube that kept biting me and anything I tried to add to the tank. I tried moving the rock work and added another clown as a mate. It almost killed it before I took it out. I would just sell him on the forum and go buy another. It wont be as aggressive in its new tank especially at first.
Ahanix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ahanix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2011 at 11:58am
My clowns have always done that to me but never touch any of my fish..
hydro phoenix View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hydro phoenix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2011 at 1:15pm
Bently21 here is my advice to you. Clown fish are aggressive, no matter the species. If it's young you can chase it when it bites you to show it that your the boss not it. If it's older it might take more time. Establish this first. When setting up a tank add your Damsel last (clownfish are Damsels) If it's in there first which is what I believe to be the situation a few simple things can help. 
1. when adding new fish to the tank, turn your lights off.
2. When adding new fish to the tank, move ALL the rock around therefore unestablishing his home base. 
3. Or move him to a new tank for a while 1-2 weeks add all your coral and fish and then put him back in. 

He's just protecting his home, it's what they do in the wild. When Miles (perc clown) bite me my first time. I chased him all around the tank for 3 min or so. I also have a pair of tongs I used for maintaining the tank and chased him with it too. Now all my fish avoid my hands and the tongs. Good luck!
recent absurdity..Unicorns have rabies
Shane H View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shane H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2011 at 4:31pm
What has already been posted is good advice. 

What other fish are you planning to add?  This information would be helpful before I wager a guess at how your fish will react.  I don't think you need to be overly concerned.  You may never avoid being bit by this fish.  Many can be very pugnacious.   However, if you follow some simple steps when adding new fish, I'm sure you can successfully keep other tank mates together.
shawn0999 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shawn0999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2011 at 11:27pm

my clowns have done this the whole time i have had them they were also the first fish in my system. they have never bothered any fish but i do think they have it out for me. good luckThumbs Up

bentley21 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bentley21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2011 at 1:51am
Smile well i went ahead and added a blue tang with the lights off. the clown didnt do anything, they are friendly towards each other. im pretty happy about it.Approve
SGH360 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SGH360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2011 at 1:54am
Not really sure of a blue tang for a tank that small they grow pretty fast. Tangs are more aggressive compared to clowns.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic