Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Calcium reactor question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
utahwatertoys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote utahwatertoys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Calcium reactor question
    Posted: June 23 2011 at 9:09am
I'm trying to figure out how this calcium reactor works. Any input would be helpful.

Its a geo 618 and I've got it up and running with the bubble counter bubbling one bubble every 3 seconds. The PH in the reactor is at 6.91 and slowly becoming more acidic. It will shut off when it reaches 6.5. Anyway with the coral being broken down by this acid I have just the calcium reactor pump running 24/7 but the feed pump I figured that it would not be necessary to run that until the PH is acidic enough in the reactor to break down and release the calcium in the substrate.
I tested the effluent and it is very acidic. I know that the purpose of these things is to output calcium into the sump but I thought that it is also supposed to output alkalinity as well. Is the effluent output of these things supposed to be acidic or basic? Right now the PH in my tank is 8.1 but if I allow that effluent to drip into my tank it would make the tank water more acidic. Is this the way these things work?
ReefAddict View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefAddict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2011 at 9:41am
It will drip calcium and alkalinity into your tank. I have mine set to add C02 when the ph hits 6.60 and shut it off at 6.40. Get a test kit for alk and test the effluent. There are tons of websites that will give you the breakdown on how acidic the effluent should be. Melevsreef.com is the one I used to calibrate my reactor. One tip, just because you are automated does not give you leave to not check. That would be disastrous. I check every morning and every night to make sure everything is running, ph is correct etc.. Havent had to touch anything in a month. Good luck. 
Will work for frags.
(801) 664-0805
Computer Technician. MCSE. VMWare Hack, AD Overlord, Apex Neptune Master, Rapid LED Genius and overall Nerd.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic