Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

darn pesky bulkheads

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: darn pesky bulkheads
    Posted: June 27 2011 at 10:07am

After nearly 20 years of experience building and maintaining reef aquariums, I have come across this tool that is going to save hours upon hours of time, trouble and frustration.

When we build aquarium stands, we often fail to consider the future maintenance of the bulkheads. The hole that is cut is often just large enough for the plumbing to go through. The removal or tightening of the bulkhead while the tank is full of water is rarely considered. (Tip: cut a huge hole around where the bulkhead goes Wink)

The other day I was redoing the plumbing on an aquarium. All the bulkheads had been leaking for years and the hole was not even large enough to get the tip of an adjustable wrench around the bulkhead nuts from the bottom. To slide the wrench in horizontally was completely out of the question. If I used a Sawz-all to cut out the wood and expand the hole, I risked hitting the glass bottom.

So I went out looking. The tool pictured above is what I found at Ace hardware for $5 It's a Rainbird Sprinkler head repair tool. I used the adjustable wrench to squeeze the tines to just the right size to fit snugly around the 1" bulkhead nut. You can even slide the tool into the area to loosen or tighten the nut with pipe still attached to the the bulkhead.Star
It works awesome. Thumbs Up
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
tcfab View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tcfab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2011 at 1:09pm
Precision Marine also makes a bulkhead socket, its pretty cool it will get into very tight spots.
Need custom acrylic work? give me a call, www.Elite-Aquatics.net (801)645-6386
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic