Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

pulsing xenia retracted

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
utahwatertoys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote utahwatertoys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: pulsing xenia retracted
    Posted: July 06 2011 at 4:00pm
All of my pulsing xenia is retracted and one colony died.
They were just fine for a long time and the only thing that I have been doing differently lately is dosing with Kent garlic xtreme daily  and kent marine c 3x/wk and reef plus 2x/wk and I did turn up the protein skimmer to more aggressively skim.
PH 8.21
Salinity 1.021
Ammonia 0ppm
Nitrite 0ppm
Nitrate 0ppm
Calcium 380 mg/L
Carbonate hardness 10 dkh
Phosphate 0ppm
Temp 78

If anyone could help with ideas of how to save the ones that I have left I would greatly appreciate it

bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2011 at 5:10pm
Your salinity is pretty low unless you are keeping seahorses. Xenia has a habit of just melting when it wants to:( Don't know how to help save it as once it decides to go it is rather fast at it.
Jackie Stuver

"wait these aren't the happy Hawaiians oompa doompa godly heaven on your face zoas?   I dont want them then. lol!" Ksmart
bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2011 at 5:11pm
Forgot to say salinity is normally better at 1.025 or so
Jackie Stuver

"wait these aren't the happy Hawaiians oompa doompa godly heaven on your face zoas?   I dont want them then. lol!" Ksmart
BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2011 at 5:14pm
Xenia likes a little iodine, but you have to dose carefully.

Xenia does not generally like water that is "too clean", so don't overskim.
- My Current Tank: 65g Starfire (sitting empty for 2+ years) -

* Marine & Reef tanks since 1977 *
utahwatertoys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote utahwatertoys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2011 at 11:06pm
I'm thinking that they are a goner but now that I am thinking about it I'm wondering if I really want xenias in there anyway. They are not very attractive and I have heard that when they are in conditions that are right for them they can take over. I'd hate for that particular creature to take over.
Now is that level of salinity a detriment to other corals?
I'm not seeing any negative effects on the other corals. They seem pretty happy
I do have one coco worm that comes out but doesn't fully extend its plume where the other coco worm always fully extends. Not sure what the deal is with coco #1
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic