Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Intro

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Schmidty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Schmidty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Intro
    Posted: August 03 2011 at 1:18pm
Hey! My name is Drew i have been browsing your forum over my phone. Last night i spent about 3 hours just browsing through different tank builds in the tanks thread. Stayed up way past my bed time but it was worth it. I have to say there are a lot of very impressive fish tanks on here.
 I myself am just barely taking interest in the hobby. been doing research and trying to find cool ideas and trying to learn form other peoples mistakes. I have not yet dipped my toe in the salt water aquariums. My brother and i have just purchased 2 55g tanks and have started doing freshwater his tank is much nicer then mine. My tank is mostly used as a growing tank for other fish to put into his so they dont get bullied too bad. I was pondering just raising a freshwater barracuda but cant bring myself to go buy one. Everytime i go into Aquarium Masters to go get one i see the awesomeness of the salt water tank and keep telling myself to hold out for salt water fish. 
Hopefully soon i will have saved enough to get a basic setup going. so for now i will live vicariously through you guys.

Tanuki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tanuki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2011 at 2:14pm
Saltwater, DO IT.

I have had a lot of freshwater tanks, and non of them compare to my saltwater.  My tank isn't even very cool and I can spend hours looking at it.

My opinion is that both are cool to have, but I much prefer salt.  Saltwater is more expensive is the biggest hangup, but IMO it's worth it.  Oh and I am really new to this too so don't be afraid to ask questions, people are very helpful here.
Defending Reefscape Champion (I Think)
bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2011 at 3:04pm
Welcome!! I think most of us kept freshwater tanks for years before moving to saltwater, unfortunately it is more expensive but as Tanuki said well worth it:)
Jackie Stuver

"wait these aren't the happy Hawaiians oompa doompa godly heaven on your face zoas?   I dont want them then. lol!" Ksmart
CapnMorgan View Drop Down
The Capn'

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CapnMorgan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2011 at 7:51pm
Welcome! Glad to have you here! I have kept a variety of freshwater tanks over the years and while I enjoyed it it never came close to what I get out of keeping marine aquariums. I think no matter what you decide to keep be it a reef or a fish-only tank, you'll have a great time! If you ever need help just ask. The biggest tip I can give you is to be patient and do your research. Don't rush things; the more patient you are the more successful you will be, and remember we're always here to help!
Steve
My Old 180G Mixed Reef
Currently:
120G Wavefront Mixed
29G Seahorse & Softies
Running ReefAngel Plus x2
435-8
Will Spencer View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Will Spencer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2011 at 10:19pm
Glad to have you here.

Don't believe everything you read on this forum though, Freshwater tanks can be awesome.  I've had several and they were easily as cool as my Saltwater Reef.  Of course when it came time to cut back on tank numbers, the awesome freshwater tanks went and the Salt Water Reef Stayed. 

Also, Freshwater tanks can easily be as expensive as Salt Water tanks.  Mine were very similar in cost to my reef, but they were much more work.  While I spent several hours a week on the FW tanks I spent only a few hours monthly on my reef to keep them both at the same level of awesomeness!

So in short, I'd also suggest doing Saltwater, but freshwater is not cheaper, easier or less awesome.
bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2011 at 12:27am
LOL Will, I know freshwater can be expensive I was keeping discus before I switched finally to salt but for e salt has been more expensive still as I like all the cool corals and it can get pricey:) I think the fish hobby can be pricey no matter what. I do about the same maintenance on my salt tank as I did on my discus tank because I keep seahorses. It's just personal opinion all fish keeping is awesome!!!
Jackie Stuver

"wait these aren't the happy Hawaiians oompa doompa godly heaven on your face zoas?   I dont want them then. lol!" Ksmart
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic