Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Fighting Cyano & Hair Algae

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2011 at 10:15pm
GFO stands for Granulated Ferric Oxide. commonly used to remove excess pO4 (phosphate) from your aquarium water
- My Current Tank: 65g Starfire (sitting empty for 2+ years) -

* Marine & Reef tanks since 1977 *
hedgefish View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hedgefish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2011 at 10:29pm
thanks for the info
hedgefish
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2011 at 8:57am
That's lot of changes to combat the algae. At this point, I'd wait and watch to see what effect those changes make over the next 2 weeks. Please come back to this same thread to let us know the results, especially if the problem persists, so that we may pick up where we left off.

FYI, A living reef aquarium needs algae to sustain itself. It's not a bad thing and actually quite common to have a small localized area of the aquarium where Cyanobacteria comes and goes depending on conditions.

Algae can be controlled by herbivores which eat it. Limiting nutrient input and harvesting macroalgae removes nutrients from the system to help control nuisance algae growth. Even after all this, Algae can never be eliminated completely without killing all the life in the aquarium.

Cyanobacteria is one of the oldest forms of life on earth. It is very resilient and can grow almost anywhere. You could take a clean container filled with tap water, and within a few weeks find cyanobacteria growing in it. Mixing into that same container some aquarium salt to the salinity of seawater would feed the Cyanobacteria, making it appear sooner. Ermm
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2011 at 9:05am
Mark, I actually noticed some HA growing on the Halimeda while filming... don;t know if it shows up that well on the video...

Just don't want to have it kill off the Halimeda inside the display

But yeah, now it is time to just sit back and see how things progress...

GaryF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GaryF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2011 at 2:36pm
Maybe I went through the posts too fast, but did you mention anything about macro algae. I have battled the hairy monster for quite some time. I finally introduced some Caulerpa to my main tank (i dont have a sump) and the hair algae is in full retreat. I have done almost everything everyone told me to do. I probably went a little light on the live rock in my tank and maybe I am suffering from that, but I am starting to wonder about the salt that I use (instant ocean). But my tank is a hex, and it is a curse!
Gary Finnegan
BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2011 at 2:41pm
Gary -

I have chaetomorpha in my sump (you can see it in the video) and also a good amount of Halimeda in the display

Aquaristnewbie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aquaristnewbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2011 at 3:02pm
To help with the halimeda I would manually pull it off or one thing I use is a toothbrush dedicated to my tank. It works well to get it off. One thought that I seem to notice with cyano is what is the temp of your tank? I dont know if this is true but I have noticed with cyano is that it seems to grow best at warmer temps. You may try slowly brining your temp down to 72-76 if it is higher to see if that helps. Just a thought. Hope it is all going well with the battle.
150 gallon Reef
Millcreek Utah

Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2011 at 3:24pm
With all this advise floating around lately about correcting problems...here is a pic from one area of my current tank. Any suggestions...

Jeremyw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeremyw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2011 at 3:52pm
Mark be quiet! Your new tank is the OCEAN! You cant do anything to help it out! You are hopeless.... well you can recycle, and do your part to be greener lol
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2011 at 4:49pm
LOL Just having some fun.

But seriously, when I saw this little tidepool of hair algae and Aiptasia, I just had to snap the shot and share it with y'all. There are Butterflyfish all over, but only in this tidepool are the Aiptasia safe from the Butterflyfish and the algae safe from the Tangs.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic