Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

ID help- decent Pic included

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
rufessor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rufessor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ID help- decent Pic included
    Posted: August 17 2011 at 11:30am
Hello all-

So this tank has been up for 8 months + and was seeded mostly with live rock from a 4 yr old established reef, so its not strictly a "new tank" as it started with a pretty diverse set of organisms etc.  However, in the last 2 weeks or so I have noted the appearance of a fairly decent number of these yellow segmented "tubes" with green bands- appearing growing off the rock in a number of places in the tank.  I would guess there are at least 20 of these, where there were 0 1 month ago.  I was initially thinking sponge like but they grow kinda fast!  Any ideas?  I also am concerned that they could become a nusiance as 0-20+ in a month might indicate hundreds in a few more months.  The pic shows 1 in its entirety and has a piece of another in it.

Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler -A.E.
57 Gallon RImless build in progress check the thread before if becomes boring and just full of nice pictures of colorful coral!
WhiteReef View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WhiteReef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2011 at 11:36am
Mermaids finger (Neomeris annulata)

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/greenalg.htm
----------------

Richard

Former 47G Column Reef, Magna
20" x 18" x 31"H
rufessor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rufessor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2011 at 11:57am
Thanks-  Thats it or appears to be it.  I wonder where they came from, also now wonder why they are growing as I have a Cheato Fuge, skimmer etc.  Could be lighting change that I have rectified as its coincident with their appearance.  Hopefully its not a big issue as apparently at least one person thinks they are a nusiance.  My Nitrates always test as essentially undetectable on a strip and the cheato ball grows but its just now filling its compartment after 8 months with 18 hour light... and I can go 3-5 days between glass cleaning without really noticing any algae.   I kinda like them, at their current density!  If anyone wants some I guess we could pick them off the rocks.  They are super bright in coloration! 
  THANKs

seriously if you read this and want a few send me a PM.  I obviously know nothing about them as I had to ask what they were so I cannot tell you what your getting other than the ID provided!  No charge unless demand is extreme, then they are 20 bucks a head Big smile

57 Gallon RImless build in progress check the thread before if becomes boring and just full of nice pictures of colorful coral!
rufessor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rufessor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2011 at 12:01pm
HAHAH.  Just read this... makes me so PROUD :)

Requires high lighting like that needed by clams and SPS corals. Neomeris Annulata also requires a lot of calcium to keep growth steady. Pristine water conditions are also necessary, only trace amounts of nitrates to keep the Neomeris Annulata fueled, should be in the water.

Treat the Neomeris Annulata as if it were a coral it should grow like wild for you. This is a very tricky macro algae to keep around(for many who want to keep it) for long periods of time.

Then I read the last part... hahaha.. so SAD now

The Neomeris annulata algae is on the obnoxious algae list.

WhiteReef View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WhiteReef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2011 at 12:06pm
Well, it is still a cool looking macro algae.
----------------

Richard

Former 47G Column Reef, Magna
20" x 18" x 31"H
MIK3B View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MIK3B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2011 at 5:44pm
I have several of these in my tank, I quite like them actually...interesting to read that they are hard to keep because I've had them for years. Big smile
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic