Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Elevated Hang-on Refugium

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
tfowers View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tfowers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Elevated Hang-on Refugium
    Posted: May 10 2003 at 12:49pm
After the May meeting I've been looking into a hang-on Ref for my 29 gal.   And after reading this: http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2002-12/eb/index.htm it sounded like zooplankton were very important to the success of many corals.  A refugium sounds like a good source of many planktons for the tank, but the centrifugal pump/blender seemed to limit that benefit, so the gravity return sounded even more temping.  So I'm looking to build one, but I was wondering what is the best flow design for a Refugium.  Most sumps/Refugiums seem to focus on maximum movement by creating zig-zaging and high-output pumps.  But my hypothesis is: if you create a Refugium with low water movement or even near-dead zones of water, the plankton culturing will be able to grow to a larger population without being pushed out of the Ref. and maintaining a larger colony would produce more on a constant basis, maybe even getting to a saturation point before flowing into the main tank.  Is there a consquence I'm not thinking of here? Any feedback would be appriciated.    - Tim
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic