Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

10 gallon nano

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Schmidty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Schmidty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 10 gallon nano
    Posted: August 24 2011 at 12:50pm
Ok i picked up a 10 gallon tank for $5 on ksl. was going to use it as a growing tank for my brother cichlids  but all he did was put his aggressive fish in it and it died probably from stress of being the only thing in the tank. so now i have this 10 gallon tank just sitting around. so i was thinking maybe making this my first step into the salt water world. If i can take care of a nano a large tank should be no problem.

The problem i am having is lighting. Im pretty sure the lighting that came with the tank is not efficient for coral. That is really what i want to grow is coral fish would be more of a side project. http://www.walmart.com/ip/Aquaculture-Starter-Kit-10-Home-Aquarium-1-ct/10312734 i believe this is the setup I bought. the hood looks exactly the same. But i have basicly everything else handled axcept the lighting. would the lights that are in it be sufficient for coral or do i need to change lights or even a whole new hood?

I also have picked out a protien skimmer. Do i really need a skimmer or can i use Just a standard hagen hob filter. i would probably us a hagen 20 or a Aqua euro Usa nano protien skimmer whatever you guys say would be better for me i would run both but not enough room.

Thanks for helping out a newbie.
Drew

Edited by Schmidty - August 24 2011 at 12:52pm
ksmart View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ksmart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2011 at 1:49pm
Welcome! Bigger tanks are actually easier for beginners than smaller tanks. The larger water volume allows some room for learning experiences haha.

Does the hood have to mogil sockets or one florescent bubl? If it has the two mogil screw in sockets you can put some coralife 50/50 bulbs that will work ok. I remember someone on this board had that type of lighting for their 10 gallong. They also painted the inside of the hood white for better reflection. Also keep in mind what kind of coral you want to keep. They all have different lighting and water conditions.

The filtration on saltwater tanks is a little bit different than freshwater as it will rely more on the biological filtration rather than the mechanical. Live rock and live sand will be a huge part of if not all of your tanks filtration. I had a 10 gallon tank before with one power head in one corner and on the other side I had a hang on the back fitler that ran activated carbon. No sponges or anything because they end up being a trap for waste. I probably wouldnt mess with a skimmer on this size of a tank but thats my opinion.

Hopefully that gave you some good ideas.

Shad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2011 at 4:36pm
I've got a 10g nano.. I started out with the lights that came with it, but quickly moved up within a matter of weeks. You just don't get as much coral happiness without good lighting.. I went on the expensive side on the lights.. But you can definitely do it for less.

This is shortly after i bought the new lights. I've got quite a bit of coral in there now including some SPS.

As far as filtration, I just have the live rock, some macro algae, and a bag of activated carbon..   No HOB filter or anything.. I've considered getting a skimmer, but it's not necessary. Just something to let me be lazier than I already am with this tank..
Lewy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2011 at 8:31pm
40 gal w/ 20 sump
Shad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2011 at 11:11pm
That light will work great..
Schmidty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Schmidty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2011 at 12:11pm
Ok sorry  about takinf forever to repost. i cant post on my phone. If i could i would of had a lot more to say.

That light looks like what i was searching for it seemed like the smallest hood i could find was 24 inchs. but that 19.5 inch should fit perfectly. do you have any heating issues with it. I have an older house with just a swamp cooler not very well insulated my 55g fresh water tank runs at 82 during the day and around 76 at night with out a heater. would i need a cooler with that light?

Thanks for all your input and opinions they are greatly appreciated.
drew
Aquaristnewbie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aquaristnewbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2011 at 12:22pm
No you would be fine with that light. Should not heat it up much at all. One thing you could also do is keep the stock hood and throw some coralife 50/50 bulbs into it and you should be able to grow pretty much anything.
150 gallon Reef
Millcreek Utah

Aquaristnewbie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aquaristnewbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2011 at 12:25pm
These bulbs here. I know petco has them too.
http://www.amazon.com/Mini-Compact-Fluorescent-Colormax-Light/dp/B0002AQ44O

Cheaper and not as much work for you.
150 gallon Reef
Millcreek Utah

Schmidty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Schmidty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2011 at 12:57pm
I did look at those bulbs. just wasnt sure on if it would be enough light. Maybe i will try them since they are much cheaper then the full hood. See how they do and if i need to order the entire hood.
I still need to go buy all the accesories needed for salt water. Hyrdrometer, Live sand, live rock, salt, water conditioner, some coral food, im sure there is a lot more but that is everything off the top of my head. It is pay day tomorrow so hopefully i will be able to order some stuff and start a build.
Thanks for everyones input it was greatly appreciated. Cant wait to start growing.
Shad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2011 at 1:50pm
Ask around for rock and sand. Lots of folks around here are generous and will help you out.. If someone ever buys my clown, I'd pass along my rock, sand and macroalgae as it was given to me by another member.. Pay it forward so to speak..

You mentioned water conditioner.. If you can avoid using tap water and use RO filtered water, it would be best.
Lewy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2011 at 7:16pm
The light I posted works great.  I don't have any heat issues at all with it.
40 gal w/ 20 sump
hydro phoenix View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hydro phoenix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2011 at 7:55am
Welcome!
  If your going to run a saltwater tank, I'd get the protein skimmer going and keep the temp in the tank down. If it gets to warm corals wont survive and you'll have hair algae every where. I have a swamp cooler in my apt and I had my land lord install a ceiling fan in the room that houses the tanks and keeps the temp a nice tropical 78 during the day and 76 at night. You don't want to much of a temp swing.  
recent absurdity..Unicorns have rabies
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic