Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Catching anthias

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Catching anthias
    Posted: August 26 2011 at 1:17pm
Does anyone have a good way to trap and catch anthias? I have a pair that are just too much for my tank but they are fast and hide at the site of anything near the tank:( Any suggestions?
Jackie Stuver

"wait these aren't the happy Hawaiians oompa doompa godly heaven on your face zoas?   I dont want them then. lol!" Ksmart
Jeremyw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeremyw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2011 at 1:34pm
Did you put a trap in?
DLindquist View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DLindquist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2011 at 1:54pm

Trying a trap is probably your best option. That, or a quick tank drain.Confused

A government strong enough to give you everything you want, is powerful enough to take everything you have.

bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2011 at 2:00pm
I will try a pop bottle trap but I don't think they will go for it. They are tricky things!!!
Jackie Stuver

"wait these aren't the happy Hawaiians oompa doompa godly heaven on your face zoas?   I dont want them then. lol!" Ksmart
Jeremyw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeremyw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2011 at 2:32pm
I would say try the pop bottle and then if that doesnt work I say patience..... lol
bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2011 at 2:33pm
Yea well patience is not one of my strong suits:) They are chasing my new clowns grr.
Jackie Stuver

MadReefer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MadReefer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2011 at 2:58pm
I have a tiny fish hook.
bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2011 at 3:07pm
Ooh maybe I will have to try that!
Jackie Stuver

P.Kapp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote P.Kapp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2011 at 3:35pm
If you have an acclimation box there might be a way... I have my acclimation box in my tank right now just to hold some frags. The top is placed about an inch or two under the water surface, and every now and then I notice a fish has swam in there from the top and tries to get out straight sideways or down, and they are stuck for a little while. Not saying its the easiest or best way, but it might work. Maybe put some kind of food in there to lure them in like a trap...
Preston Kapp

210 Gal Reef
bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2011 at 3:43pm
Yea they won't go near the pop bottle with food in it. I will keep trying it is still in there. I don't have an acclimation box:(
Jackie Stuver

builderofdreams View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote builderofdreams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2011 at 6:00pm
To Trap or Drain that is the quetion?
Beg borrow or steal a trap.
Draining is an 4 hour chore.
Reef Runners usaully has a trap u can borrow.

It's Not a Hobby It's an Obsession
150&210 Gallons of Madness and. Sanity! 801-850-4915

http://www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=65135&title=builderofdreams-feedback-post
bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2011 at 6:49pm
Problem is I can't fit a trap in there other than a pop bottle trap:(
Jackie Stuver

Tanuki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tanuki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2011 at 7:23pm
If I catch em can I have em? :)
Defending Reefscape Champion (I Think)
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2011 at 8:06pm
Do you know how to train them to stop chasing other fish? It really works. I've used it many times and taught other hobbyists how to do it.
<EDIT> Just saw your video in the other post. The Anthias went into hiding, right? and now they are worried that there's not enough food for everyone so they're telling the new guys to get outa' town. Anthias are "scaredy cats" anyway, so some training and extra food will work. See the Reefkeeping Tips for the basics about training and feel free to give me a call so I go over the finer points of it with you.<Edit>

Did you use an acclimation container for the new clownfish. How long did you keep them in it?
Did you see any signs of aggression from the Anthias when the clowns were in the container?

Also ask yourself why are they chasing clownfish? What threat do they perceive in the clownfish? Food, territory, competition for a certain hiding place?

My suggestion would be to catch the clownfish, at night is the easy way, and put them back in the acclimation container until the Anthias get used to them. Feed the tank like crazy several times daily with good healthy food, not crappy flake or pellet food. This feeding will greatly calm and pacify the aggressors. Turn on the Refugium lights 24/7 to help eat up pollution from the extra feeding.

If you don't know how to easily catch fish at night, just ask. The Anthias probably hide well even a night, so catching them is probably out of the question, but you can check on that. The nighttime catching method involves scoping out the tank the night before the catch, with a very dim flashlight, to get a view on where the fish are sleeping.

Edited by Mark Peterson - August 26 2011 at 8:31pm
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2011 at 4:13pm
Sorry the anthias chase everyone not just the new clowns. I honestly don't like the fish very well they remind me of goldfish lol.
I have read your tips before and if I can't catch them that's what I will do:)
Jackie Stuver

BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2011 at 5:24pm
Jackie, I have an acclimation box if you need it 
- My Current Tank: 65g Starfire (sitting empty for 2+ years) -

* Marine & Reef tanks since 1977 *
bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2011 at 5:33pm
Originally posted by BobC63 BobC63 wrote:

Jackie, I have an acclimation box if you need it 

Alright if it gets to that I will let you know. They are doing better today they picked on my small kole tang and coral beauty too so I just would like to catch them.
Jackie Stuver

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic