Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

ID? Is this good, or bad?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
evan127 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote evan127 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ID? Is this good, or bad?
    Posted: September 05 2011 at 1:18pm
http://www.youtube.com/user/ecronshaw1?feature=mhee

Is that a good critter, or a bad one? Sorry for the poor camera skills.
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2011 at 2:57pm
For a guy who seems to say that everything is good.... those types of flatworms would have me saying bad.

Adam
Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
rwccomptech View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rwccomptech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2011 at 2:58pm
Looks sorta like an ampihapod.
Ron
20g
60x turnover
30" current pc fixture
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2011 at 3:32pm
It's a little different than the Flatworm we usually avoid. Where did you find it and were there others?
I would watch carefully to see how fast the population increases and get ready to use Levamisole if they get too much.

The reason I say this is because not all flatworms are bad. I had some fast moving white ones, about the same size as that one, in my Clownfish Hatchery that caused no problems at all.

Edited by Mark Peterson - September 05 2011 at 3:34pm
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
evan127 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote evan127 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2011 at 3:38pm
So it's a type of flatworm? Do we know what kind specifically? I found him right before I fed my tank. I shut off the pump to cease flow and noticed him inching along the sand bed. I only saw one. I'll check again later, but he is the only, and first that I've seen.

Edited by evan127 - September 05 2011 at 3:39pm
ptronsp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ptronsp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2011 at 3:51pm
Ewwww that's a flat worm? I have never seen one of those.
 Pam

The only clowns I like are in my tank!

evan127 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote evan127 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2011 at 4:47pm
I hadn't either until today
ch3tt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ch3tt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2011 at 1:46pm
i've noticed some of those in one of my tanks.. good or bad? if bad, how would you suggest getting rid of them?
Red Sea Reefer 625 XXL
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2011 at 11:00am
There are hundreds, maybe even 1000's of types of flatworms. There are only a few that can become a problem in our tanks. This is a pic of the most common one of them. They are visible as retangular brown things on the snail shell and sand.

If they don't look like this, then I would not get over excited. Just watch and see so they can be handled before they start to multiply as in the pic above.

A Wrasse, especially the Sixline Wrasse likes to eat them. Mandarin Dragonettes are also good at eating them, but also decimate the bug population which can then turn into a problem with nuisance algae, so be sure, if you add a Mandarin to the tank, to add a lot of snails to keep algae under control. (A Mandarin is not recommended for tanks under 75 gallons.)

Flatworm Exit, made by Salifert works well but is very expensive.
The veterinary chemical Levamisole is the least expensive way to kill flatworms. I gave my last packet of it to Shad here on this MB, but it's not too hard to find.

Look in the Reefkeeping Tips below for the easier method of using these chemicals to eliminate Flatworms. Smile
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic