Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoughts on Elegance coral

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
1stupidpunk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1stupidpunk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Thoughts on Elegance coral
    Posted: September 10 2011 at 7:25pm
I've been looking at elegance corals and i really want to get one. I have heard mixed reviews about Indo vs. Aussie and i was wanted to see if anyone who actually owned one had any thoughts. My tank has a big empty spot that i think an elegance would fill nicely.
builderofdreams View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote builderofdreams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2011 at 7:54pm
These are one of the most Exquized coral available.I did a lot of research prior to owning this Beautiful specimen.(pict left side).All research pointed to the fact that they do not last long in captivity.6mnths to year.I kept this for about a year and 3 months.Then it slowly began to disappear,started to receed at one end then slowly worked it's way around the entire coral until completely gone.Never lost color or leached away like most corals do when they die.I was really bummed when she was gone.(yes had to be a female.The most beautiful creatures on earth are Female).Anyway if ya do buy one just enjoy it for as long as ya possibly can.They are meat eaters.Mine ate mysis and krill and occasionally silversides when my fish would allow it.Hope this helped.

Edited by builderofdreams - September 10 2011 at 7:55pm
It's Not a Hobby It's an Obsession
150&210 Gallons of Madness and. Sanity! 801-850-4915

http://www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=65135&title=builderofdreams-feedback-post
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2011 at 11:29am
Some of the early members of the WMAS had Elegance Corals that grew Huge in their tanks, like larger than a basketball. I don't know what happened to those coral and haven't seen Elegance Coral as good since. I'm not sure why. Confused
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote builderofdreams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2011 at 11:34am
The Elegance in the pic is about as big as a basketball.The blue tang in the pic is 9 in long.

http://www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=65135&title=builderofdreams-feedback-post
ch3tt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ch3tt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2011 at 12:55pm
If you do decide to get one birdworld in bountiful just got in a bunch of really nice looking ones
Red Sea Reefer 625 XXL
jwoo View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jwoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2011 at 6:01pm
They can be hit or miss but if you can get them to live past a year they'll go forever. My dad has one that is the size of a backetball in his tank that he's had in there for 3.5 years. Before that he had a crash that took an elegans coral that he had for 5 years.
None at the moment
Soon: 72 Gallon Bowfront
BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2011 at 7:32pm
I got this Elegance frag from Aquatic Dreams for only $25 back when we did the LFS tour (May or early June).

Since then it has grown a bit and seems to be doing quite well:

I have the Elegance in an area of medium - high flow and direct lighting (but the sandbed is 24" from the light). I have never 'spot fed' this coral but I do add in some Oyster Feast every few days.

Getting a decent frag like this might be a good option if you don't want to spend the $100+ for a whole specimen.

- My Current Tank: 65g Starfire (sitting empty for 2+ years) -

* Marine & Reef tanks since 1977 *
ptronsp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ptronsp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2011 at 7:50pm
We too have a beautiful elegance that we have had about 8 months so we shall see if it continues to flourish. I think they are beautiful!
 Pam

The only clowns I like are in my tank!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote builderofdreams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2011 at 10:34pm
Originally posted by jwoo jwoo wrote:

They can be hit or miss but if you can get them to live past a year they'll go forever. My dad has one that is the size of a backetball in his tank that he's had in there for 3.5 years. Before that he had a crash that took an elegans coral that he had for 5 years.
My Apology.Guess i read to much.

CapnMorgan View Drop Down
The Capn'

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CapnMorgan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2011 at 3:34am
With elegance corals the Indonesian variety are much touchier. They will often contract brown jelly disease or just wither away for no apparent reason. The Australian variety however, is a great coral for captivity. Much more hardy (though often twice the price) than their Indonesian counterparts. All in all, kept in high lighting and moderate waterflow you'll stand the best chance to keep one alive.  
Steve
My Old 180G Mixed Reef
Currently:
120G Wavefront Mixed
29G Seahorse & Softies
Running ReefAngel Plus x2
435-8
1stupidpunk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1stupidpunk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2011 at 6:25pm
So my girlfriend found me an aussie elegance coral on liveaquaria.com (ive had mixed results in my dealings with them), but it shipped fine and looks amazing. Its looking very happy in my tank at the moment but i havent had a chance to spot feed it anything just yet, ill attempt to give it some mysis tomorrow. I cant seem to figure out how to put the picture on here so heres the link....http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=263196510369975&set=a.208561692500124.54789.100000388830165&type=1&theater
Jeremyw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeremyw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2011 at 7:59am
Ive tried them many times with out success. I was told they were AUSSIE but I dont really think they were. I love them and to me they are one of the most gorgeous corals, but with that said they are very hard to keep along time.(Like everyone else has said)
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2011 at 10:41am
Has anyone looked at where they live in the wild or what their special requirements are?

I have heard, but I don't know how true it is, that they are collected from around sea grass beds where the water is often murky with all kinds of detritus and stuff.
...A search just now confirmed that this must be true. What's wrong with my Elegance Coral?
Are we failing to do our homework to provide this animal with it's needs.Question
Should we not, therefore, be surprised that Elegance Coral do poorly in our small boxes of nutrient deficient water surrounding squeaky clean LR and SPS coral. Stern Smile

Edited by Mark Peterson - September 16 2011 at 10:42am
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Jeremyw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeremyw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2011 at 10:49am
I actually agree with Mark. I have hear for years that they grow in the grass beds, but one thing I read is when they tested the waters in these areas because of the tides coming in and out that the waters were actually not murky, but sparkling clean (lol) like our tanks.

Ill have to search for that link.
rfoote View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rfoote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2011 at 7:39am
In all the research I've done, I think Mark is spot on. I've actually had an Aussie Elegance now for close to 5 years. It is the only one I've ever had, for some reason it seems to continue to thrive and grow.
Pam&Jake View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pam&Jake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2012 at 9:21am
What's the difference between Indonesian and Aussie? Anything noticeable?

Jake
90 Gallon reef
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic