Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Montipora corals stressed

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
WhiteReef View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WhiteReef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Montipora corals stressed
    Posted: September 12 2011 at 10:14am
About a month ago I tore down my refugium in my sump and installed a new skimmer. Up until that point (2+ years) I have not had a skimmer on the tank. During that time I have had a few different corals added to the tank, and they did okay. The refugium consisted of a sand bed good sized LR that grew calerpa. The sand seemed to always have red slim build, and the tank had a high level of nitrates. In an effort to get a handle on the nutrient issues in the tank, I opted to install a skimmer. Also when I removed the refugium, any snails/crabs were placed in the MT.

My schedule of dosing has not changed in the last several months and the only change has been the removal of the refugium and the installation of the skimmer.

The last few weeks my montipora spongada went down hill fast. It is barely showing any signs of polyp extension, and the skeleton is basically white. Also I noticed a white spot on the tip of my tricolor acro, but other than that it looks fine. Along with that my orange montipora digitata is showing smaller polyps in a few places, and my superman montipora is now doing the same thing. Also I have an unknown acro that was green/bluegreen that is now brown and showing some signs of tissue recession. Also my strawberry shortcake frag is loosing color.

Aside from that my zoanthids, clam, gorgonians, and a few other SPS are looking good.

I checked parms Saturday and they all looked good.

pH 8.2
salinity 1.026
ammonia 0
nitrates 0
alk 9.5
cal 450
temp 76-78

Would adding a skimmer cause this to happen? I can only think that the skimmer is pulling so much stuff out of my tank that the corals are starving for what they want.
----------------

Richard

Former 47G Column Reef, Magna
20" x 18" x 31"H
WhiteReef View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WhiteReef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2011 at 10:15am
Also I wanted to add that when I reconfigured my sump, there was such limited space I was unable to properly build any type of refugium back into it. As a result I built a mesh bag to hold macro in and have been using that as a temporary refugium.
----------------

Richard

20" x 18" x 31"H
tileman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tileman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2011 at 11:26am
Do you happen to know what your mag level is?  I have heard that montiporas do well with high mag levels.  Don't know if it's a fact other than I keep my mag levels on the high side and my monti's grow like crazy.  Just a guess though.
335G Reef
TOTM.
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2015/2/aquarium
ReefKeepers TOTM Feb. 2012
http://reefkeeping.com/joomla/index....k-of-the-month

&
WhiteReef View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WhiteReef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2011 at 11:47am
I ran out of my mag test kit, so I will be getting one today. I'll see what it reads when I get home.
----------------

Richard

20" x 18" x 31"H
BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2011 at 12:53pm
Rich -

Adding a skimmer alone would not cause the problems you described. I highly doubt your corals are 'starving' due to that skimmer.

I think the problem is that when you added the skimmer, you also removed the refugium at the same time.

Skimmers removed mainly DOCs (Dissolved Organic Compounds) wheras a refugium is good at removing excess nitrates and phosphates... IMO they don't "do" the exact same job, and one is not a 100% complete substitute for the other. I would use both together (and I do).

Browning of SPS corals is generally caused by high nutrient levels in the water... probably came from the removal of your fuge from the system and the introduction of some nutrients from that fuge system. FOr example, where did the rock that was in the fuge end up?

Also, do you run carbon? In a reactor, 24/7, or a different method?

- My Current Tank: 65g Starfire (sitting empty for 2+ years) -

* Marine & Reef tanks since 1977 *
BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2011 at 12:54pm
Oh and PS - if you have any red slime buildup, you probably also need to up your in - tank flow; maybe add a few more powerheads or Korallias to increase water movement

WhiteReef View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WhiteReef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2011 at 2:11pm
Bob-

When I tested for nitrates it was undetectable, but a few months back prior to adding the skimmer it was reading 25.

Yes I agree that removing the refugium is the likely issue, but why when all parameters look fine are things looking bad for a few of the corals.

The rock currently is in a holding tank until I get it sold. Also the sand that was in there is free to anyone wanting to come take it off my hands, and it is also in the holding tank.

I run carbon in a bag in the sump and change it out every month.

The red slim was in the sump only and not the main tank. I have plenty of flow in my tank, almost to much for LPS.
----------------

Richard

20" x 18" x 31"H
WhiteReef View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WhiteReef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2011 at 9:46pm
Mag 1400
----------------

Richard

20" x 18" x 31"H
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2011 at 11:27am
This is only my opinion based on my finite experience. As much as I think I know, I hardly know anything. Embarrassed

I'd say it was the drastic change in the filtration. Complete swapping out of an RDP Refugium for a Skimmer was a drastic change. Reefs don't handle drastic changes too well. It's going to take some time for things to get used to the new situation. It might have been good to run the skimmer on a schedule and slowly acclimate the system to the skimmer. Even now, turning off the skimmer could help the stressed coral to recover. I believe it would help to leave some crud (food) in the water. Who knows how much the Refugium was feeding the tank?

Montipora are the SPS we always recommend for beginners. The reason for that recommendation is that they seem to do better in a wider range of tank conditions. They seem to do better in what some hobbyists might call "dirtier" conditions, but which I would call an abundance of food. Nitrogen is a very important food.

If I were told I had to choose whether to use a Refugium or a Skimmer, and I could not use both, I would choose the Refugium. More types of coral will grow better in a system with an RDP Refugium. That said, there is no argument that a tank with a skimmer looks and grows different than a tank without a skimmer. Some people prefer the look, but I consider a skimmer to be supplemental filtration to a system that already has an RDP Refugium. The skimmer will remove crud, giving the biofiltration less to do, or looking at it another way, allowing the hobbyist to increase the bioload (more fish). Smile

And when it comes to an RDP Refugium, just the other day RussianRick told me that swapping out the bioballs in his tank's sump for an RDP Refugium has had a very positive effect on his former FOWLR aquarium and it's nuisance algae problems.

One last thing I might as well say. Embarrassed It seems to me that in this hobby there is way too much fretting over the N levels. Have you ever noticed how I NEVER ask for N levels? Most hobbyists think I'm crazy not to test for N but in my experience I have found that is not that important. What is important is to look at how the coral are doing, ignore the N levels and focus on Alk, Ca, biofiltration, water flow, lighting and Mg in that order.

Just my 2 cents.

Edited by Mark Peterson - September 13 2011 at 11:42am
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
WhiteReef View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WhiteReef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2011 at 11:39am
I did not completely replace the RDP, but mostly. I built a mesh bag using 1/2" screening material and placed a large clump of macro in it. The bag is to contain the macro, so it does not float all over the sump. It is growing, so there is some what of an RDP going at this time.

I just want to be able to incorporate a skimmer into my setup to be able to run it from time to time. However, I need to still figure out a design for the sump that works best. I'll post some plans later on to see what thoughts others have regarding the design.

Mark, I'll take your advice and turn the skimmer off for a bit to see what happens.
----------------

Richard

20" x 18" x 31"H
BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2011 at 11:48am

Just so I am clear:

Mark, are you saying you think his Montis browned out because of a lack of nutrients in the water (adding a skimmer which removed too much good stuff), rather than they browned out because of excess nutrients in the water?

I am still leaning towards the theory that a general disruption to the biofiltration caused by removing the fuge has caused the overall level of nutirents in the water to rise, leading to the brownouts.

Keeping in mind that a general nitrate level reading ("0" or otherwise) does not necessarily indicate the total nutrient level of the water...

Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2011 at 11:57am
In time, the tank will adjust (or you will adjust the tank) to the change and it should do fine.
Some of the coral will do better with this change. Some will do worse.
Remember the Refugium also had a nice sandbed which was providing a myriad of benefits.
What is the sandbed like in the main display? Are there carnivores in this tank? A sand sifting star or a sand throwing blenny/jawfish?
It's important to note that Cyanobacteria exists in all our systems. Yes it's there, even if you cannot see a bad growth of it.
If Cyano grows just in the Refugium, that's not such a bad thing. It's helping clean the water. I would not be surprised to find that some inverts and coral eat small amounts of Cyano, it's spawn and/or it's waste.
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2011 at 12:32pm
I'm saying it was the change in the entire system, including the nutrient levels. Some stuff disappeared. Some stuff increased in proportion.

As in the ocean, the environment of our aquariums has 1000's of variables. N is only one of those variables. P is another. That leaves 998 more. Most of those we cannot test and all of which we hardly understand. There are interactions between all those things too.

Algae eats things that a skimmer cannot remove. A skimmer removes things that algae cannot eat. AC removes things that neither algae nor skimmer can remove. Algae adds things to the water that coral and inverts like as well as adding things they don't like. Algae also provides a home for bugs that coral like to eat.
BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2011 at 12:44pm

I agree with what you said, Mark - especially this part:

Originally posted by Mark Peterson Mark Peterson wrote:

Algae eats things that a skimmer cannot remove. A skimmer removes things that algae cannot eat. AC removes things that neither algae nor skimmer can remove. 

And that's why I use (and recommend using) ALL 3 Big smile

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rich -

SPS can be a real PITA sometimes... small changes in things like nutrient levels that don't seem to affect other corals (or fish) at all can really piss off your SPS and cause them to bleach or fade, turn brown, etc. - sometimes even die off.

The good news is that if the change doesn't kill them, the SPS will usually rebound back to normal... they just take longer to adjust and return to their old coloration than other corals.

jcom View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jcom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2011 at 2:38pm
Have you tested phosphate?
WhiteReef View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WhiteReef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2011 at 2:35pm
I have not tested for phosphates. What I think and have been in the process of correcting is my salinity. The tank was running at 1.023, used my swing arm hydrometer to measure, but after I installed the skimmer and added additional SW to the talk it read 1.026. I think that the issue is more that the salinity increased than a nutrient issue or water quality issue (nitrate/phosphate). So far I have only one SPS that completely bleached out, and when it started it went fast (sad face). The spongada is showing polyps although the base has no color, maybe it will win out. Then I still have a few others that are showing signs of stress, but overall I think that this will be resolved once I get the salinity back to where it was before.
----------------

Richard

20" x 18" x 31"H
WhiteReef View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WhiteReef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2011 at 9:18pm
Salinity is back to 1.023 and all of the corals look good now. The only issue is the spongoda is still looking bad, and one of the acros died.

Also I was able to put about 2 inches of sand below the skimmer. Since there is a large base and an inch between the sand, I think that I should be okay with it. Also I put about 2 inches in another compartment of the sump. Then I broke up the large LR and spread the pieces around in the sump. Right now I have more than I anticipated near the skimmer, but I think things should be okay. I will watch it and see.

Over all I think my issue really was the swing in the salinity.
----------------

Richard

20" x 18" x 31"H
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic