Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Mark Peterson Or anyone else...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
ptronsp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ptronsp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mark Peterson Or anyone else...
    Posted: September 13 2011 at 6:21pm
That may know Big smile.

Could you please elaborate for me the differences of species of Clown Larvae? Why some are harder then others? Etc? I do not have much knowledge on the differences and am very curious.

I didn't realize the difference until I got the Maroon Larvae and compared them with the only other clown I have had the chance to raise, My mochas. I was stunned at the difference.  They also go through Meta and a much slower rate then my Mochas did.

Any info would be fantastic... please everyone chime in.. give me as much info to read as I can...Thumbs Up.

Pam

The only clowns I like are in my tank!

Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2011 at 6:43pm
My limited experience has been with Tomato, Maroon and Percula/Ocellaris. All I know is that Maroon larvae are so much smaller than the others, they are much more difficult to raise and take considerably longer to develop.
Have you looked here? www.breedersregistry.org
This resource was going strong when I first raised clownfish more than 10 years ago. I haven't looked lately, but I assume there is a huge database of information.
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
CapnMorgan View Drop Down
The Capn'

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CapnMorgan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2011 at 7:21pm
Originally posted by ptronsp ptronsp wrote:

That may know Big smile.

Could you please elaborate for me the differences of species of Clown Larvae? Why some are harder then others? Etc? I do not have much knowledge on the differences and am very curious.

I didn't realize the difference until I got the Maroon Larvae and compared them with the only other clown I have had the chance to raise, My mochas. I was stunned at the difference.  They also go through Meta and a much slower rate then my Mochas did.

Any info would be fantastic... please everyone chime in.. give me as much info to read as I can...Thumbs Up.

Pam

Pam, I am no expert on the subject but from the reading I have done is that different species mature at different rates, and as Mark mentioned; some are much smaller than others. 
Steve
My Old 180G Mixed Reef
Currently:
120G Wavefront Mixed
29G Seahorse & Softies
Running ReefAngel Plus x2
435-8
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2011 at 7:33pm
Two main ways to reproduce. Put all your energy into one egg (having all your eggs in a basket) or invest little energy into many eggs. In general animals (well all living things that is) pick one or the other. Humans invest huge amounts of energy into just a few offspring. Basically all their eggs into one basket. Where as salmon can lay a gazillion eggs and then swim off hoping one of them survives.

What is unusual about anemonefish, and the primary reason for my interest in them, is that within that one "family" we see a great difference in their approach. I've heard of maroon's laying over 2,000 eggs in one clutch. That is unreal. They are tiny. They have a terrible survival rate. But then again you have a lot of them. Very different than with tomato anemonefish.

The yolk sac, length of larval time, and selection of first foods varies so greatly it is amazing to me. It's part of the fun, and the challenge, in raising marine fish.

Adam
Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
ptronsp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ptronsp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2011 at 10:17pm
Adam, do you suggest any other places for reading on the wonderful Anemonefish? Thanks Mark for the link.

When I got the Larvae from David I was shocked at the amount that were in the tank.. it seemed like gazillions! I was so excited and confident that this was going to be awesome! Well, slowly they kept dying and dying.. It took over 2 1/2 weeks to go through meta.. in the end I was able to save 8! I was so disappointed, yet excited because at least I saved 8!

Pam

Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2011 at 8:17am
Eight is a whole lot more than 0 that's for sure. In fact 8 is a frickin' awesome. As for reading.... hmmm. I'll have to think about that. I spend a lot of time talking to breeders but finding good info to read is tough. I think DiMarco's book still won't be out for another couple years. Let me check with Matt P and see what he has to say.

Adam
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2011 at 8:39am
8 is grrrreat. Clap

You probably heard from davser that I took his Maroon larvae home twice. Both times I lost them all. Right after that I got Percula eggs from a client's tank. I was able to raise about 20 from each batch of ~100 larvae. I raised two batches, ~40 clownfish. Like Adam said, it seems that less eggs correlates with higher survival rate. If I had stayed with it, I'm confident the survival rate could have been improved.

You said that your larvae struggle before Metamorphosis. I didn't notice that at all with mine. Mine were Mochas too, by the way. Smile These larvae simply kept growing thicker and changing color with just a gradual change in their swimming movements. It was a slow change from the jerking movements of larvae to the funny swimming motion of a Percula Clownfish.

My Clownfish Nursery was developed with the idea to make their environment as much like the ocean and our aquariums as possible. I don't know if that was the difference in Metamorphosis, but it sure made raising them a lot less laborious. For one thing, I kept my water change schedule to the typical 10%/month during the entire grow out process. Big smile

It saddened me to learn that Russ and Kathy have not been able to use their big Clownfish Nursery. I was expecting them to become a source for all kinds of young anemonefish. With me out of the business too, I guess that leaves it all up to you Pam. Thumbs Up
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
ptronsp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ptronsp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2011 at 2:38pm
I am confident that Kathy and Russ will be back at it eventually. I sure hope so ! :).  As for the Maroon larvae they were much more difficult for me, but were so worth it in the end.. they are such beautiful fish. I would very much encourage you Kevin to stick with the percs for the time being.

I guess I would say I am a bit anal with the cleaning regimen on my tanks because I still clean them every other night and they are 4 months old Shocked.

Now I just need eggs so I can raise more :).
 Pam

Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2011 at 7:49pm
Matt sent me this the other day and I totally forgot to post it....

Joyce Wilkerson's Book #1. Wittenrich's book #2. Hoff's book is a dry read, but still a very good #3. Back Issues of CORAL that have clown breeding in them #4.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic