Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New to Utah

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
tylerisaac View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tylerisaac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New to Utah
    Posted: October 25 2011 at 12:02am
Hello folks!

My name is Tyler, and I'm coming to Salt Lake from Boston for the year on November 7th. I graduated from Boston University with a BA in Marine Science in May, and I'm moving to SLC where my girlfriend (who I met while we studied abroad in the Turks and Caicos Islands last fall) is finishing her senior year at Westminster. I'm really excited about a reef club out here! I grew up in CT and was a member of the CT Area Reef Society from the beginning of my first tank, and they were such a great help and guiding hand to me, so I'm hoping to get involved in another club :)

I don't know where to start with my interest in marine aquariums. I've kept things in glass boxes ever since I could figure out how to catch frogs and salamanders, and started my first saltwater aquarium back in 2003, a 135g. That turned into a 300g coral propagation tub, which turned into a small clownfish breeding experiment/business by 2006/2007. I had to sell it all off to go to BU, and at school I got my aquarium fix by working in the BU Marine Program wet lab. I was the head assistant technician there for three years, and just spent the summer working at the New England Aquarium in the Lobster Aquaculture program. So it's safe to say I love and need fish tanks in my life!

I'm hoping I can get a job at The Living Planet or something along those lines, and I'm waiting until the spring for the seasonal technician jobs in the state fish hatcheries to open up (hoping the budget will be able to Confused). Just figured I would introduce myself, I've been hoping to meet some like-minded people out here! Unfortunately I'll be missing the big event on the 5th, as I'm not coming in until the 7th...bad timing by me huh. Anyways, I'll explore the board and sign up to be a member of WMAS! Looking forward to the next year and meeting you guys.

Tyler Isaac

ps - Any recommendations on LFSs to check out? I don't think I'll be setting up a tank until January, if at all, but I love to look :)

pss - here's a crappy cellphone shot of one of our tanks over at BU I'm proud of

Edited by tylerisaac - October 25 2011 at 12:11am
Inspiration, move me brightly..

Love the ocean: reefs, diving, sushi, beaches
bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2011 at 12:12am
Welcome!! There are some amazing hobbiests on this board:-)
Jackie Stuver

"wait these aren't the happy Hawaiians oompa doompa godly heaven on your face zoas?   I dont want them then. lol!" Ksmart
tileman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tileman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2011 at 7:31am
Welcome Tyler,  I;m sure you are going to love it here in Utah.
There are many great LFS's here for your pleasure, and many members tanks to enjoy.
Keep us updated upon your arrival and safe travels.
335G Reef
TOTM.
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2015/2/aquarium
ReefKeepers TOTM Feb. 2012
http://reefkeeping.com/joomla/index....k-of-the-month

&
hydro phoenix View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hydro phoenix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2011 at 7:44am
I'm from CT! 
recent absurdity..Unicorns have rabies
Will Spencer View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Will Spencer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2011 at 8:42am
We're Looking forward to meeting you.  This is a great place to get an aquarium fix.  For being a desert state there sure are a lot of us who like to play in the water.  Too bad you can't make the MWRF on the 5th, but we'd love to see you at our December meeting.  We have a great speaker coming in that month, Joe Coppolino.
Jeremyw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeremyw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2011 at 9:20am
Welcome! Glade to see you found this amazing site and club!

Like Brad said lots of good LFS here! Hope to see you soon, and hope to see you set up a tank soon!
nsfw dave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nsfw dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2011 at 10:50am
im a noob to the board here, but grew up in boston.. so welcome
480 in wall in progress
ptronsp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ptronsp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2011 at 2:55pm
Welcome! I look forward to meeting you and seeing your tanks :).
 Pam

The only clowns I like are in my tank!

MIK3B View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MIK3B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2011 at 6:26pm
Indeed - welcome!

What an awesome coral prop tank that is!!
tylerisaac View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tylerisaac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2011 at 6:51am
Thank you all for the warm welcome! I've been perusing the Local Fish Stores link on the left menu. Hope to see you all in December!
Inspiration, move me brightly..

Love the ocean: reefs, diving, sushi, beaches
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2011 at 7:39am
Welcome!
Did you ever attend the CTARS big spring event? Are you involved with BostonReefers at all? I have some friends out there.
Also, you said you're coming out November 7th.... I'd highly recommend coming out November 4th if you can. Our biggest event of the year is on the 5th.

You'll love it here, and we're glad to have you.
Adam
Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
Ann_A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ann_A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2011 at 12:02pm
Welcome! Always fun to have more hobbyists! As far as LFS's there are a lot of them, most with great tanks to enjoy.

These would be my main picks:
-Aquatic Dreams (up in Layton)
-Fish4U (SLC)
-Pet Village & Bird World (Bountiful)
-The Aquarium (Sandy)

I'd only recommend getting livestock from Aquatic Dreams or Fish4U since the others either have a reputation for pests, or are overly expensive... or both!

Anyways, welcome to Utah!

Anne
MIK3B View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MIK3B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2011 at 12:05pm
Originally posted by Ann_A Ann_A wrote:

These would be my main picks:
-Aquatic Dreams (up in Layton)
-Fish4U (SLC)
-Pet Village & Bird World (Bountiful)
-The Aquarium (Sandy)

+1
Turbostud653 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Turbostud653 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2011 at 12:46pm
Welcome to a wonderful fish club!
Here is what a customer said while on hold Oh my gosh! Did you open the door? I told you not to open the door. Dre is in here completely naked and he's got freak'n Macaroni and Cheese in his hands.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic