Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

lighting and lps and other corals

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
nsfw dave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nsfw dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: lighting and lps and other corals
    Posted: November 08 2011 at 7:01pm
my question.... I read all about t5s and MH's and leds... but nothing specifies what shade of lighting.. what shades of lighting are best? the lower 6500+ or the higher 10k+  and is there anyway to get that nice frag tank pop in color without having a blue-ing glow orb of a tank.

btw the tank is a 120g 48x24x24.  corals in question are torch, frogspawn and acan.
480 in wall in progress
bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2011 at 7:35pm
I prefer about a 14k color, its not too blue but not white either. 6500k will be very yellow in color.
Jackie Stuver

"wait these aren't the happy Hawaiians oompa doompa godly heaven on your face zoas?   I dont want them then. lol!" Ksmart
nsfw dave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nsfw dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2011 at 7:36pm
agreed, i think i prefer the 10k and up as well, but does it affect growth?
480 in wall in progress
BillyC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BillyC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2011 at 7:40pm
The lower k will give you better growth but will make your tank more yellow which could easily be fixed with actinic or LED supplementation.
Sculpin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sculpin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2011 at 8:43pm
I hate the blue glow as well.

First off, depending on your MH ballast you will get a difference of color temp. Last year after doing a bunch of research on what brand/temp of bulb I wanted I finally opted for the Ushio 14k because in a tank I saw, those bulbs produced a beautiful white color (if what was a color that is) with a bit of blue. I bought 3 250w Ushio MH bulbs and installed them into my Coralife fixture only to find that the bulbs turned much bluer then expected. This was accentuated by my two actinic 55w T5HO's and turned the tank super blue. 

I couldn't return my bulbs nor could I figure out what happened till I was told that the tank I originally looked was running an Aquamedic ballast and they run bulbs whiter then most ballasts. 

What I ended up doing was replacing my actinic T5 bulbs with Icecaps 12000 K Midwater bulbs. They were pink of all colors but I figured I'd give it a shot. They were perfect. I can't run sole actinics anymore but the overall color turned out great.

Here are a couple of pics I just shot with my cell phone.

Micah

Edited by Sculpin - November 09 2011 at 10:26am
225 Reef (not really mine but i act like it is)

29 Biocube

My Whole House System Build
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic