Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

leaving town for a week

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
96slowbra View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 96slowbra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: leaving town for a week
    Posted: November 25 2011 at 1:28pm
i recently bought a used 54g set up and i have added tons of rock and quite a bit of coral over the last month. i have 5 small clowns. my water has been good so far and now i'm leaving for a week. sunday-saturday
i changed my water 4 days ago. the night before i leave i will change my AC(month old anyways), new filter sock, and clean my skimmer.

my roomate has been tending to his fresh tank for years and it runs like a machine, haven't really seen a nicer running fresh tank. he is going to check daily on temp and general chaos watch. i normally feed my fish everyday. i will have him feed them on wednesday and add some RO water(made sharpie lines on the sump).

anything i am overlooking??
105 rimless
ksmart View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ksmart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2011 at 1:34pm
Make sure to have him check your pumps and stuff to make sure they are on.   Its like duh but I was gone for a week and had someone who had some aquarium experience come check on my tanks for me and when I got home after a week my water level was 2 inches low in my display due to my return pump be switched off some how. He didnt catch it and it was no bueno. Thankfully I still had a few power heads that were on but thats one thing ill add to the list. I also stress the fact that if something doesnt look right and I can be contacted to CALL ME!

thats my 2 cents and it looks like you have everything covered.

Cody View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2011 at 1:40pm
I have only had my setup for 8 months and am still a noob but I have left town for a week at a time and all I have my roomate keep an eye on is temp and water level. Also obviously to make sure that things look lively. I only have him feed once while im gone. Just my 2cents.
96slowbra View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 96slowbra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2011 at 1:57pm
yeah, i told him only to feed them once on wed. figured they can go a couple days.

thanks
105 rimless
96slowbra View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 96slowbra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2011 at 2:24pm
update:
had a torch with 2 heads, now only 1 . pretty bad algae covering rock and some snail shells. roommate said the glass was dirty every day. i checked water and it was all good...exceot 10ish on nitrates, but i know that won't kill a torch. gonna grab some water for a change and some red scarlets. but i'm worried that is more than a lack of C.U.C??
105 rimless
CapnMorgan View Drop Down
The Capn'

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CapnMorgan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2011 at 7:45pm
Lack of a CUC is a pretty big thing. But the torch dying would have caused a spike in excess nutrients (and therefore a spike in algae etc.). Torch corals are prone to spontaneous death, especially from things like brown jelly disease or bacterial infections. Most LPS corals have very sharp septa on their skeletons, if the flow is too high or if they are irritated they can actually cut themselves on their own skeleton, which then invites infection, or just irritates the coral to the point of death.

Long story short, I'd say the excess pollution causing the algae bloom came from the torch dying off.
Steve
My Old 180G Mixed Reef
Currently:
120G Wavefront Mixed
29G Seahorse & Softies
Running ReefAngel Plus x2
435-8
96slowbra View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 96slowbra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2011 at 3:07pm
makes sense, thanks. also want to say thanks to mike at aquarium masters, he met me at his store to get some salt water and 10 scarlets!

Edited by 96slowbra - December 05 2011 at 3:09pm
105 rimless
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2011 at 9:58pm
You did good to feed the tank only once during the week. IMO, that saved your tank from what could have been a major disaster.Thumbs Up
My best advice from 20 years of my own experience and seeing things like this in the WMAS:
1. Resist the temptation to make any changes or do any cleaning right before leaving.
2. Leave your tank in the care of someone who has some decent experience with a reef tank.
Smile There are lot's of people in the WMAS that I would trust with my tanks and in my home.

Edited by Mark Peterson - December 06 2011 at 9:59pm
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic