Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

No power

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2011 at 10:24am
Originally posted by Laird Laird wrote:

What's the danger zone for temp?
I'll throw my 2 cents in here Smile
As low as 60 or even a little lower if it is a gradual shift over many hours (like during a power outage). The upper range is more restrictive. Over 85 can cause fairly rapid death in SPS coral. Soft coral can survive short periods of 85-90 degrees.

When the tank stops pushing water, the major concern is suffocation. That's why a battery powered air pump is IMO, the best and also least expensive solution for short term outages.

There are two benefits of lower temperature, which puts the tank in a kind of suspended animation:
1. cooler water slows metabolism and respiration
2. cooler water holds more oxygen for easier respiration
These two effects work together to sustain the tank inhabitants during a relatively long Winter power outage. Hot Summer power outages can be another matter entirely.Wink
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2011 at 10:58am
Yup, I've had no problems in those temp ranges before (~60-85)...and air stones have saved me many times.

But...from personal experience...a tank in the 40's won't survive.  Looks like I may have 100% loses.  This sucks
www.reefdup.com
Diving since 2009, reefkeeping since 2007, & fishkeeping since 1987
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
Will Spencer View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Will Spencer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2011 at 11:16am
WOW!  100% losses, that does suck!!! Dead  I'm so sorry to hear that.  I'd be willing to bet there are plenty of people here that would be happy to help out with some frags when you have things ready for them again.  I know I could find some frogspawn and hammer for you.

I think I'm going to find a way to get a generator very soon so that if this happens in my area in the future I'm not fighting for one of the last few at a store or going without and losing everything.

Best of luck to all of you and your tanks.

Edited by Will Spencer - December 03 2011 at 11:17am
Dion Richins View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dion Richins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2011 at 11:39am
My shop tank hit 60.2 The battery back up for the mp10  failed after 2 days and I had to set up a generator to just run a 34g tank and heater. Took 4 hours to get the temp up and the fish are all still here. All of the snails died and the corals don't look very good but time will tell.
Bad "censored" Cabinets
Best quality in the valley! He is one sexy bald guy, even with out a finger!(MAC)
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2011 at 12:09pm
Will, thanks.  The house just got too cold after 32 hours, so there wasn't really anything I could do (other than a generator...which is now on my purchase list).  Looks like the fish are all gone, and all the SPS are dropping their tissue.  Most LPS are stark white...and the rest are dropping their tissue.  The water is beyond cloudy, and I'm doing water changes as fast as I can make water.  As soon as I can get everything back under control, I'll start making a wish list of frags I need.  Just sad that most of those corals I've had for 5 years.  I think I also lost my mated pair of high-fin gobies with their pistol shrimp that I've had for about 4 years.  :(

Sorry to hear that Dion.  :( 

Edited by Reef'd Up - December 03 2011 at 12:11pm
www.reefdup.com
Diving since 2009, reefkeeping since 2007, & fishkeeping since 1987
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
Sculpin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sculpin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2011 at 12:23pm
Wow that sound freakn' horrible! I'm so sorry. 

Micah
225 Reef (not really mine but i act like it is)

29 Biocube

My Whole House System Build
ptronsp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ptronsp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2011 at 1:01pm
Nikki,
I am so sorry to hear about your tank! That is awful..if there is anything we could do for you please let me know.

Dion sorry to hear about your headache as well with the weather.

The only clowns I like are in my tank!

Thorn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2011 at 8:45am
We came out pretty well from the storm.  Our power was out one day, basically, but our internet was down longer.  For all but a couple hours I had my main circulation and heater on my generator.  The temperature got down to 67 in the tank.  About the time I realized i had another heater with the hospital tank to try to bring it up more, the power came on.  I didn't think about a blanket until I got back on here.

Remember the weather people are saying the same storm should happen tonight, Sunday.  Make sure you have everything outside tied down, and things lined up for your tank.

Good luck!
40 Gal. Breeder - 20 L refug/sump
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2011 at 9:46pm
I'm so sorry to hear of your losses.
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic