Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Aybody ever use Cyano Solution??

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Cody View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Aybody ever use Cyano Solution??
    Posted: December 06 2011 at 9:33pm
So I started to see a lil cyano growing on the back of my tank and decided that before it gets outta control I would treat it. I bought some Precision Solution Cyano Solution. So far I have followed the instructions but have not seen any difference. Has anybody used this and had it work and are there other ways to treat this. Thanks.
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2011 at 9:47pm
In the link below see the Tip about controlling Cyanobacteria.
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Cody View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2011 at 12:36pm
I did look at this but that wasn't the question asked.
jwoo View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jwoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2011 at 3:28pm
I've not used that brand but they all work pretty much the same.

Did you make sure to turn your skimmer off if you have one?
Did you remove any carbon you are running?

Also when did you dose? When I've used red slime removers in the past it usually takes closer to about 32 hours before I start to see any being removed and then the full 48 hours before it's gone. Usually the first day I don't notice a difference.
None at the moment
Soon: 72 Gallon Bowfront
arthuriv View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arthuriv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2011 at 3:31pm
I have never used it. I've always controlled it naturally but my parent have tried similar solutions and they work for a while but unless you fix the problem it will keep coming back. Unless you plan to continue to use the solution regularly.

How long has your tank been setup?
What are your water parameters? Alk? pH?
How old are your bulbs?
Do you have a refugium with a light and Chaeto growing in it?
Quality Marines Aquaculturing & Captive Breeding program!
Presented by Ashley & Chelsea from Reef On
Thursday 6 Oct 2016
jwoo View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jwoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2011 at 3:38pm
FYI to be devils advocate - I dosed my tank once with red slime remover years ago and it's never come back. Take that for what you will. Sometimes you have all the necessary items in place to help naturally get rid of it and it just needs the extra push. Sometimes maybe something died and caused an outbreak and you'd rather get rid of it sooner then later. I've read plenty of instances in these cases wear dosing it removed the red slime for years.

EDIT: I'm assuming good husbandry in the cases above with freak occurrences of red slime. If your tank is ridden with phosphates, old bulbs, and no way to reduce nitrates then yeah this will never help.

Edited by jwoo - December 07 2011 at 3:40pm
None at the moment
Soon: 72 Gallon Bowfront
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2011 at 4:41pm
I haven't used that product, but since you asked about other ways, this is my $0.02.

If you have new lights of the proper spectrum, have 0 TDS water (or relatively close), do regular water changes, have good filtration, have good flow, have good parameters, and your tank is more than 6 months old, then this is my recommendation if you have the freak occurance of cyano...

The typical cyano removers on the market are usually low-dose antibiotics (I know a few brands are just erythromycin).  So, they not only kill the cyano, they kill your beneficial bacteria.  No bueno! 

If you've ruled everything else out, you may just have a bacterial imbalance.  Rather than killing off the bacteria, dose more.  Dosing other types of bacteria can outcompete the cyano and restore some balance to your tank.  I've had good results with Prodibio, but I'm sure there are other brands that will work just as well.

Just keep in mind that the bacteria should only be a last resort.  Adding more bacteria (or killing off bacteria) won't fix bad lights, etc. as already mentioned.  Hope that helps and gives you a different avenue.

Edited by Reef'd Up - December 07 2011 at 4:42pm
www.reefdup.com
Diving since 2009, reefkeeping since 2007, & fishkeeping since 1987
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2011 at 2:41am
Originally posted by Cody Cody wrote:

I did look at this but that wasn't the question asked.
I have a funny feeling that you didn't go down to the long list of Tips at the bottom of the first post. This is copied from there:
Red Slime/Cyanobacteria of many colors, how to eradicate it:

Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Cody View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2011 at 8:56pm
Thank you everyone for your input.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic