Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

lace rock

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
The Sandman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Sandman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: lace rock
    Posted: December 31 2011 at 11:54pm
Is lace rock that i don't think it has ever been in a saltwater tank will ot be ok to use for saltwater tank does the rock need to be alive
Mr Sandman
Crzyfshguy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crzyfshguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2012 at 12:08am
Over 60 percent of the rock in my take is lace rock. Coraline algae and coral grow better on it than the Utah rock I have. Clean it well, and I bake mine in the oven just in case
45G w/ leds
15G sump
MP10es

Will Spencer View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Will Spencer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2012 at 9:40am
I have been told that Lace Rock will leach a lot of Phosphate, but I have no personal experience with that.  I did have some lace rock in a tank I had years ago, but it had been in someone else's tank for well over 10 years before I used it.
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2012 at 9:55am
There are many different types/grades of Lace rock and Utah Rock. Some types are okay while others can be a complete disaster, creating major nuisance algae problems. Can you show us a pic of the rock?

We've seen this comment from Crzyfshguy before. While we are talking about it, would he like to post some pics of his good lace rock, especially the way it looks before the Coralline Algae grew on it?

Here is a pic of Utah Rock after 1.5 years in one of my tanks.

That's the "After" pic. Here is a small example of what top grade Utah Rock looks like "Before".

Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crzyfshguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2012 at 7:54am
Just re- did a large portion of my rock work a month ago. The large 3 pieces that make up the "top" of this current pic are all brand new to the tank and already starting to speckle with coraline, the bottom left flat piece has been in the tank two years now, and was added at the same time as some utah rock I got from you Mark.

This pic shows it when it was all added two years ago (changed tanks since then) and basically the bottom portion of my rock is exactly the same now as it was back then, so you can see how the lace rock on the left and the "mark" utah rock on the right has progressed in that time.  Still very little coraline on the utah rock, but my purple stars seem to like it.

45G w/ leds
15G sump
MP10es

Studboyt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Studboyt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2012 at 9:36am
I put a few small pieces of lace rock in my tank (purchased form LFS) and about 8 months later had a crazy increase in Phosphates. I removed the pieces and got my Phosphates under control quickly. I cannot say for certain it was the rock, but that is the only thing I had changed. I wont touch that stuff again.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crzyfshguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2012 at 3:52am
THREE MONTH UPDATE: I have had very good luck with my new Lace rock, and will continue to use it. Maybe it only works so well in my older tank with my crappy lights (T-5 bulbs two years old now) Lights will be upgraded soon so we will see, but for now Coraline LOVES to grow on the lace rock, and I have seen zero amounts of new CL algae on any non-lace rock in my tank.

45G w/ leds
15G sump
MP10es

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic