Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Red Sea coral pro salt

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
phinfan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phinfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Red Sea coral pro salt
    Posted: January 06 2012 at 8:53pm
Just curious to see how many of you use Red Sea salt.  I just switched from Oceanic and it seems that I am dosing a lot more.  I have done 2 water changes since switching and very erratic params since.
John 3:16

93 GAL. Cube, 8 T5's, Elite Aquatics sump

Rara View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rara Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2012 at 9:19pm
I use Red Sea Coral pro.  For better or worse... I don't consider myself experienced enough to see a difference.
Have you added a lot of coral since the switch?  I could understand more corals in the tank leading to an increase in dosing. 
Jeffatpm View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeffatpm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2012 at 9:20pm
It started very well with my ph and alk since I switched from oceanic.  My ph has gone down a bit again, but that's not necessarily the salt.
210 Reef with loads of LEDS
Large Fishey Room
Located Near Jordan Landing in West Jordan.
phinfan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phinfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2012 at 9:23pm
Rara, I haven't added any coral since the switch.  

bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2012 at 11:09pm
I have been using this for several months and I have been dosing less and have added a ton of new coral.
Jackie Stuver

"wait these aren't the happy Hawaiians oompa doompa godly heaven on your face zoas?   I dont want them then. lol!" Ksmart
phinfan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phinfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2012 at 4:56am
thanks Jackie,  I will see what happens.  

P.Kapp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote P.Kapp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2012 at 2:01pm
I also switched from oceanic to red sea pro. My alk was always low, and it was hard to keep up with. It hasnt been too long, but it seems like my sps are extending their polyps more than ever, and my acans have started some baby heads too. So far I like it
Preston Kapp

210 Gal Reef
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2012 at 6:23pm
What parameters are erratic? Temp, Salinity, Alk, Ca, Mg, pH, Iodine, Strontium etc., or are you speaking of N compounds?

Remember that we add chemicals to our tanks in response to what is being consumed by the organisms. A salt mix with balanced Alk and Ca ensures that coral, inverts and algae are better able to utilize all elements, thus the need to dose more.

Since the introduction of Oceanic salt around 2004, I have never liked any of the salt mixes with elevated Ca. It just doesn't make sense to me, because increased Ca sacrifices Alk.
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
laynframe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote laynframe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2012 at 8:50am
I used Red Sea Coral Pro for a year and had great results with it. It does run high on the alk though so watch that. I switched back to Oceanic cause I got a really good deal on it. We will see what happens.
The time we enjoy wasting isn't wasted time!!!!
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2012 at 2:44pm
What do you consider "high on the alk"?

From what I see in their advertising, the Alk and Ca fall well within range.
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic