Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

upgrading 55g to 65g with sump

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
the seanze View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the seanze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: upgrading 55g to 65g with sump
    Posted: January 20 2012 at 8:58am
I will be taking everything from my 55 gallon tank to a 65 tank with a 20 gallon sump. Also I will be getting new sand and giving my old crushed coral away or throwing it out. Is there much risk of a biological crash in the tank? Any tips or advice would be appreciated.

Thank you!
BillyC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BillyC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2012 at 9:45am
I feel I can give you pretty good advice because I recently upgraded from a 65g total water volume to my current 150g total water volume. I did it pretty successfully and only had a very small diatom cycle. I was able to transfer all of my reef and fish in one evening. What I think helped most was using all of the live rock that i had and using as much "live water" as possible from my old tank. During the transfer I put all of my LR in several tubs with a powerhead and heater and took it out of the water for as short a time as possible. Like you, I also started with fresh substrate. If done right, I don't think there is much risk of a crash because it is almost as if you are doing a huge water change and changing out the glass.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic