Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

DIY lighting

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Christianwaisath View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Christianwaisath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: DIY lighting
    Posted: February 01 2012 at 11:15pm
I'm gonna purchase a rapid led DIY for my biocube within the next few weeks and was wondering if someone here that has put one of these together would want to get together and help me, I could probably throw you 20 bucks or so if anyone's interested..
Chad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2012 at 5:26pm
I have build about 5 or 6 DIY Led setups now. They are actually pretty easy to put together. I might be able to find some time to help you out and you wouldn't have to worry about the $20. Let me know when you put the order in and we can talk more. 
Chad.
What?! You pooped in the refrigerator, and ate the entire wheel of cheese?! I'm not even mad.... That's actually amazing!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Christianwaisath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2012 at 9:36pm
Jeez I'm on the fence, between the rapid LEDs or the led pendant from lr&r, rusty was telling me today thier set up is far superior, saying those crees aren designed for aquariums and penetrate differently, agh idk idk

He was telling me thier lights are basically just awesome, anyone have some insight where to throw my hard earned dollars

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Christianwaisath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2012 at 12:09am
Man I want the ones from lr&r but they aren't dimmable which makes me worry, rusty said it wouldn't be a problem
rufessor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rufessor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2012 at 8:54am
I would say only this.  There is only 1 company that I am aware of that actually makes or even designs their own LED dies, and they have exactly 1 product (kessil).  In terms of Cree I think it would be advisable to look into what the respected companies are using in their fixtures (Maxspect, AI, etc)... you might be surprised.  

When I see an LED fixture with a very large number of bulbs that is advertised to replace a xxx W halide, and that is relatively inexpensive, I think two things.  Low amperage low quality LED and made in china, forget about anything even remotely close to designed for an aquarium or a reef...   The live rock and reef fixture uses something in excess of 100 LEDs for their 250 W replacement, and costs 250 bucks.  If you just purchased 100 of the cheapest Cree LEDs (say a XP-E royal blue) you would be over DOUBLE the cost, for just the LEDs and thats with the cheapest one that most people would consider reasonable for Reef lighting, and then once you powered it up over your 29 gallon aquarium you would completely FRY everything in your tank and about all you could use the tank for would be cooking bacon... or something there abouts.

Purchase the Kit, you will not be sorry.
Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler -A.E.
57 Gallon RImless build in progress check the thread before if becomes boring and just full of nice pictures of colorful coral!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Christianwaisath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2012 at 8:59am
Thanks for the response, makes sense. Love the input
Rara View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rara Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2012 at 10:38am
I'm planning on building an LED fixture for my frag tank.  I'm currently running two AI SOLs over my display tank.  Overall, I've been happy with LEDs.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Christianwaisath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2012 at 9:15am
Ooo now it's between rapid or ai sol nano
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic