Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

65 gallon Rebuild

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Jeremyw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Jeremyw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 65 gallon Rebuild
    Posted: February 06 2012 at 1:03pm
So many of you will remember my episode of THE TANK CRASH.... if not here is a link: 

http://utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=53073&title=tank-crash-pict-added

I said way back then I would do a thread of re doing the tank and here it finally is! 

So after all corals died, and after all fish lived.... excepts bubbles the yellow tang, I decided 
that I needed to redo it all! So I did just that! What I did since I never found out 
what the issue was, is I empytied the tank: 

It was kinda nice because I took my auto top off pump put it in the tank and then I just had it 
go into the utlilitly closet which has a drain: 

You can see from the pictures the buckets with the fish in them. 

So I emptied it pulled all the rock out: 

and then I pulled the sand out. I put brand new sand in and more than last time. This time it was 
just good old dried sand, I put in about 75 lbs worth, and then started to fill her back up. 

I put salt in started it up with all my pumps plus a few extra to mix the salt in. Then 
I threw in all of the fish and what was left of the few crabs.  
Once it was done I threw all the rock back in and BAM it was time to let the water settle.

I let it clear out the next day and this is what it looked like : 

I was glad because 18 hours earlier it looked like this: 

AND SMELLED HORRIBLE! 

So now that it was all cleared I was ready to get it rollin, so I added some extra rock and 
I stacked it so nicely..... NOT it kept falling over, I had to big of a rock in there, so I changed it all: 
I will add those picture later. Looks good, except I just couldnt keep it going. 

Finally only 10 months after the buy I figured out how to get my bubble magus skimmer to 
work correctly and I got a new maxi jet pump, so my carbon/uv reactors are working again
the tank is clear finally! It did go through several cycles. I did add a bunch of snails 
and only about 5 lived, I just added about 15 more and all are still alive so I need to 
really bulk up on snails again (hint hint Arthur) But ya i will let you know as I keep this 
think plugging along! 
will View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote will Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2012 at 2:51pm
right on i'm glad to see that tank back in the game Smile

i'll be excited to see what your new ideas are and what you do different this time

you know everybody thinks about what they would do different if they started again
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic