Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

High dKh.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
SkylerS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkylerS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: High dKh.
    Posted: February 22 2012 at 6:54pm
Hey guys, I have a kit that tests dKh in ppm, I got a reading of 240 which translates to 13.44 dKh which I know is high.  I must admit that I don't test alkalinity.  I was until recently a tank dabbler with several soft corals.  I've now accepted I'm a reef enthusiast and I'm starting to hammer down on my parameters.  How do I lower my dKh?
Ammonia:0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0
dkh:13.44
calcium 520
pH. 8.4
Mag 1600ppm (increased intentionally for bryopsis)
phosphate: .5ppm

I used to dose weekly calcium and strontium according to the "beginner" advice on the bottles.  No more! Thanks guys!
BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2012 at 8:01pm
What brand of test kit?

Very difficult to have that high of a dKH and that high of a Ca reading at the same time...
- My Current Tank: 65g Starfire (sitting empty for 2+ years) -

* Marine & Reef tanks since 1977 *
SkylerS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkylerS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2012 at 8:12pm
Calcium is API.  The alk is a mardel 5 in 1 strip so I know probably not super accurate.  What's your opinion?
BillyC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BillyC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2012 at 8:44pm
I suggest getting a good test kit or getting it checked at the LFS. those numbers don't sound right to me either.
BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2012 at 8:50pm
API will read @ 500 if the reagents are old (although it is possible to have a 500 Ca reading)
Test strips are notoriously unreliable. If your Ca really is 500+ ppm, your alk would probably be down around 7 - 8 dKH... not 13+

Like Billy said, you can take a water sample to a LFS and most will check your water for free.

- My Current Tank: 65g Starfire (sitting empty for 2+ years) -

* Marine & Reef tanks since 1977 *
Teknik777 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Teknik777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2012 at 8:51pm
On a side note are you dosing? If so how much and what?
220 G SPS Display.

SkylerS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkylerS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2012 at 9:08pm
I was dosing off the bottles suggested beginner doses.  I don't remember off the top of my head.  but I was sporadic anyhow.  I'll recheck the alk tomorrow.  I'm sure the calcium is that high though.  Seeing as how I was dosing it and it's a fairly new test kit.
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2012 at 5:20pm
Alk is acceptable between 8-14 dKH.
Your parameters are okay, just stop dosing Alk for a while.
A younger tank full of soft coral and not much coralline algae does not need much Alk and Ca dosing.
I suspect a high Ca salt mix is being used which typically tests around 500 ppm Ca even when Alk is at the top of the range.
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
SkylerS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkylerS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2012 at 7:28pm
Retested and got dkh of 10. I feel better about that. Thanks guys.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic