Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

My idea ... need help

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
xessive force View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xessive force Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: My idea ... need help
    Posted: February 23 2012 at 6:09pm

Okay so I have an older 24 gallon jbj nano cube that has been doing pretty good.  I have had my issues here and there as any new reefer is going to have I guess but over all its been good .. addicting you could say.  So in my endless pursuit to make my reef "better" I have been thinking of adding a separate sump to my take.  For multiple reasons of course but one of them just being that I think it would be cool.  Do you think that this would be a possibility with this type of tank.  It is not drilled and I dont want to deconstruct the tank to drill it so I would have to do a hang on style of overflow.  I would have to cut a notch in the tank hood for the overflow pipe.  .. I am wondering if anyone has done anything like this or if its even worth it.  I already feel like I am running out of room in my tank and want to upgrade tank size however I  do not have much floor space for any bigger of a tank or a ton of funds at this point to upgrade down the road a year or two I want to upgrade to the big red sea tank or something similar.. Anyways long story short what do you guys think about the possibilities of adding a sump?  Do able?  Worth it?    

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift that's why they call it the present.
MIK3B View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MIK3B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2012 at 6:49pm
This is a very addicting hobby. I've been addicted for ~12yrs.

I highly recommend a sump, so nice to be able to add your top off water, monitor ph/temp, hide your heater/skimmer, adjust/test chemistry, add supplements, run reverse daylight/refugium/macro algae etc...You could pick up a CBR/Backpack style overflow and run it down to a sump quite easily however, if you will be upgrading soon anyway...Maybe just hold off and pick up another tank when someone here or on KSL is getting out and use your nano as a species tank or keep it as is. I've run sump and sumpless tanks for years, and whenever possible I feel like s sump is the way to go, even if it's just a 10 gallon tank.

Personally I am not a fan of overflow/siphon style drain systems though. Some swear my them, but I feel like there is still too much of a chance of a flood or other catasrophe.

Just my $.02
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2012 at 8:15pm
Have Tyler (tcfab) drill that baby and get a sump! I'm behind you on that, it's a way good move.

Adam
Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
xessive force View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xessive force Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2012 at 8:26pm
Could I drill it without emptying the tank?
Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift that's why they call it the present.
MIK3B View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MIK3B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2012 at 8:45pm
If you're careful you can. I lowered mine halfway had people squirting the rocks and corals while I drilled 2 holes in the back. 3/8" glass, drilling for 3 hours super slow while spraying the bit and holes and a tiny crack appeared!

I have drilled several smaller tanks since then but will only buy predrilled tanks thinker than 1/4" personally.
Akira View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Akira Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2012 at 8:57pm
You can build a clay dam around where u drill to hold water while u drill , it sticks to the glass to hold water, check you tube :)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic