Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

air bubbles in the sand

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
the seanze View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the seanze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: air bubbles in the sand
    Posted: February 27 2012 at 8:59am

Hello every one,

I recently upgraded my tank from a 55 to a 65 with a 20 gallon sump. I added new sand. And after i had it all setup i found air bubbles in the sand. so i mixed the sand around pretty good and i think i got most of the bubbles out. if there are still a few left, do you think that could become a problem? and can i find a creature for the tank that will mix the sand around?

-Thank you
ksmart View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ksmart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2012 at 10:23am
Air bubbles in the sand is normal. It is part of the nitrogen cycle. Normally it will build up and rise to the top and release itself on its own but crabs digging in the sand will help or a sand sifting starfish (which I do not recommend until your tank is established or the starfish will starve to death), or sea cucumbers I think help mix the sand. I wouldnt worry too much about it though.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic