Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Starter Help

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
ztuhcsnegob View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ztuhcsnegob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Starter Help
    Posted: February 29 2012 at 4:53pm
So I am starting my first salt water tank. Woot woot! I have read up on some stuff and am getting a bit familiar with the hobby. So I have my tank, live sand, and live rock all set up and am ready to move onto the next step. Cleaning crew and fish.

I have a little 12 gallon tank and I have read that for every gallon you should have one snail and for every 3 gallons a hermit crab. Is this correct? What are the best snails to use? 

Also, are there any extra precautions that I should take before putting in fish? I grew up on fresh water fish and am familiar with introducing them into the tank and making sure the order is right. (for example least aggressive to most aggressive)

Thank you for the advice!

Life is good
phys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 29 2012 at 5:04pm
a few more crabs could be good. Best snails? get a mix, nerites, cereniths, and astreas are great for cleaning off glass, turbos are good for helping to keep the algae down.

drip acclimation for your fish seems to be the best method.
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 29 2012 at 5:16pm
Come to the meeting tomorrow..... make some friends. It's great to have you here.
http://utahreefs.com/index.php?q=node/4

Adam
Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
hydro phoenix View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hydro phoenix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 29 2012 at 5:22pm
I second Adam's advice
recent absurdity..Unicorns have rabies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ztuhcsnegob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 29 2012 at 5:23pm
I would if I could Adam. I think it would be a lot of fun but I work til 8... Are there any on Saturdays?

Life is good
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 29 2012 at 6:21pm
Reef Tour on Saturday April 21st!!!! Keep that date in mind.

We've got some good reefers in your area. I'm sure you'll make friends soon enough.

Adam
Come to a meeting, they’re fun!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ztuhcsnegob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 29 2012 at 6:23pm
Sweet!
Life is good
DLindquist View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DLindquist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 29 2012 at 6:57pm
Originally posted by Adam Blundell Adam Blundell wrote:

Reef Tour on Saturday April 21st!!!! Keep that date in mind.

We've got some good reefers in your area. I'm sure you'll make friends soon enough.

Adam

I'm in you're area. You're welcome to swing by. As far as crab, snails and what not- I have never gone by any rules. I ran our 90G for seven years with no snails, a handful of hermits and two emeralds. I have had our 265G up for about eight months and we've got about 30 snails.
A government strong enough to give you everything you want, is powerful enough to take everything you have.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic