Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

new to hobby

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
sillyfrag View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sillyfrag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: new to hobby
    Posted: March 05 2012 at 12:39pm
Hello my name is neil i am new to the hobby. i have had freshwater tanks for almost 20 years.  i am going to buy an existing saltwater tank that is already up and running.  i need to move the tank and the occupants.  i need help!!!  i am concerned about the fish.   any advise will be greatly appreciated 

thanks Neil 
Trevor40 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trevor40 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2012 at 1:02pm
In the past I have just put the fish in buckets with a heater and powerhead. Take your time setting up the tank and if the sand is super dirty that your moving, consider replacing most of it or rinsing it out.
Call or Text (801)834-3119
ksmart View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ksmart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2012 at 1:06pm
Welcome! this is an awesome forum and you will find tons of help here! what size of tank are you picking up?

I've moved tanks a few times. Here is how I like to do it. Make sure you have the place planned out where you want to put the new tank. Make sure you have extra salt water mixed and ready at your house in case of an emergency.   Make sure you take enough buckets and/or totes for the water and the livestock. Try and bring with you as much of the water back as possible.

The fish and coral will be ok for a little while in buckets. I moved a tank from Park City to Bountiful with minimal loss. what I did was unplug all the equipment, (lights, heaters, pumps, skimmer, etc.) and pulled them out.

then I started draining the water into buckets just enough to put the fish in. once I had all the fish and coral and rocks in buckets and totes (want to make sure that there is enough water to cover the rocks) then I finished draining the water into some 5 gallon jugs. I left about a half an inch of water in the tank with the sand. Then basically reversed the steps when I got the tank home. Feel free to call me if you have any questions! 801-916-5068.   Depending on what day you move it I may be able to come and help.

Edited by ksmart - March 05 2012 at 1:10pm

ksmart View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ksmart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2012 at 1:11pm
Originally posted by Trevor40 Trevor40 wrote:

In the past I have just put the fish in buckets with a heater and powerhead. Take your time setting up the tank and if the sand is super dirty that your moving, consider replacing most of it or rinsing it out.

+1

sillyfrag View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sillyfrag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2012 at 2:03pm
i have a 125 gallon freshwater tank i am thinking about emptying and making several trips to bring the existing water in one trip and then some of the fish, corals and rocks in another.

Chris Scott View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Scott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2012 at 4:51pm
whats up you sillyfrag!

It was a 300 gallon you were gonna buy right? Thats a big boy tank. Sure you can lift all that water?? :)
55g Bowfront Corner Reef
hydro phoenix View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hydro phoenix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2012 at 6:23am
Welcome to the board! Glad to have you:) If you move sometime this week I can help with the move as well. Just pm me!
recent absurdity..Unicorns have rabies
sillyfrag View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sillyfrag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2012 at 9:04am
thanks for the offers to help.  i think that once i empty my other tank and set it up to use as a temp. tank i should be fine.  the big challenge is going to be getting it out of his house without making a big mess. 
hydro phoenix View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hydro phoenix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2012 at 10:29am
towels my friend.....lots....and lots of towels
recent absurdity..Unicorns have rabies
ksmart View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ksmart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2012 at 10:30am
Originally posted by hydro phoenix hydro phoenix wrote:

towels my friend.....lots....and lots of towels

sillyfrag View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sillyfrag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2012 at 10:35am
does anyone know where i can get some of the food grade barrels?

sillyfrag View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sillyfrag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2012 at 12:53am
the move was in my opinion a success.  all the fish and rocks and sand are set up in the 125 while i get all the lights, stand and plumbing in order.  thanks for all the help from everyone except Chris who planned an emergency trip to california just so he wouldn't have to help move.  he said it was for wedding stuff but he is canadian so you know how they are up there.  
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic